Mappable Stealth Ignition

mikeyb

Has anyone had any experience of these either good or bad?  I'm thinking about trying one on the Stag

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electronic-ignition-Mappable-System-program-your-own-advance-curve-/171048969419?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3ATriumph%7CModel%3AStag&hash=item27d35024cb

I don't think this one has the vacumn advance input, the aldon amythyst one does and that's the one sparky spit has got for his spit, I don't know if he's fitted it yet though. I thought about the aldon one for the gt6 but picked up a cheap 123tune so didn't need to, but my understanding is that they do the same job as the 123 but the electronics sit outside. I don't know how much of an impact the vacumn advance has but I was going to go for the aldon one just in case it made a difference, it is £50 more expensive though.
Cheers,
Floyd.

Mike,  We put yan on another Mikes AC Aceca, works fine.
But, its no like an Omex or Emerld,  or  MegaWotsit in the way ye alter the settings

this,n cant be done on the run, engine has to be off to put in the settings,
or t least the yan we had did,

If no sure aboot it, best to Ringo Starr them, and ask.

But what iva it does, its way better than the OE map
cured the low doon/mid range pink,n and also gave moer cruise / top end

M

796 wrote:
Mike,  We put yan on another Mikes AC Aceca, works fine.
But, its no like an Omex or Emerld,  or  MegaWotsit in the way ye alter the settings

this,n cant be done on the run, engine has to be off to put in the settings,
or t least the yan we had did,

If no sure aboot it, best to Ringo Starr them, and ask.

But what iva it does, its way better than the OE map
cured the low doon/mid range pink,n and also gave moer cruise / top end

M

Or...as explained in the following
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2tzUFw_onY

No Amethyst specific experience but with MS I start by transferring the "mechanical map" from the distributor, both centrifugal and vacuum (vacuum especially can be hard to get the figures for).

If the engine is still standard spec then the factory curve will still be pretty damn close.  You'll definitely be able to improve on the vacuum element though

Nick

For the gt6 I put the standard distributor figures from the manual into the 123tune which looks to have very similar software to the stealth/amethyst and I was amazed by the difference, I hadn't realised how bad my old dizzy must have been, still haven't had a chance to play with the curve to see if I can improve it, but even on standard curves it was a huge improvement. I guess it all depends on how bad your dizzy is to start with as to how much of an improvement it will make.

32valves wrote:
I thought about Amethyst for the Sprint. Obviously there are no maps for the car. Does anyone have any experience of setting this up 'from scratch' ?

I've set up my Amethyst with a map based upon the standard Mk3 mechanical advance curve and vacuum curve, as Nick and Floyd suggest above. It's all ready to go but the Amethyst and car are still in different locations due to stuff being in storage for a house move.  I hope to fit and fettle it in the next month or two, and get used to playing with it.  From what Floyd was saying at the last local CT meeting, I should expect a marked improvement without doing anything other than using standard curves; my original Delco is probably as knackered as his was.  The final destination for the Amethyst is a 1500 with Mk3 cam, so some map twiddling will be needed, probably on a rolling road.  But that's some time away yet.

My experience with both Vitesse and PI (both of which run standard cams) was that the mechanical curve (centrifugal advance) as originally calculated by  Triumph was about right.  Even on the rolling road we could find little gain.  This would be a different story for modified engines.  If you've had to retard the basic timing to allow for modern fuel you may have to take a degree or two out.  I didn't, even with 95 UL, probably because the electronic system is more accurate/consistent and the addition of injection means I get even fuelling for all cylinders.

Where we could gain was at part throttle (and this is why I say the 2D device you originally posted the link to is not worth having as you can't fiddle with this).  When fiddling with the timing on the PI on a rolling road we picked up 20% torque in some areas, making it feel really responsive and allowing quite fast cruising on just a whiff of throttle and consistent 30 - 35 mpg.

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:
My experience with both Vitesse and PI (both of which run standard cams) was that the mechanical curve (centrifugal advance) as originally calculated by  Triumph was about right.  Even on the rolling road we could find little gain.  This would be a different story for modified engines.  If you've had to retard the basic timing to allow for modern fuel you may have to take a degree or two out.  I didn't, even with 95 UL, probably because the electronic system is more accurate/consistent and the addition of injection means I get even fuelling for all cylinders.

Where we could gain was at part throttle (and this is why I say the 2D device you originally posted the link to is not worth having as you can't fiddle with this).  When fiddling with the timing on the PI on a rolling road we picked up 20% torque in some areas, making it feel really responsive and allowing quite fast cruising on just a whiff of throttle and consistent 30 - 35 mpg.

Nick

Maybe im not reading it right, but what system was this with?

I need to do this with my stag.