BodsMk1

After driving the Gt6 for the first time at the weekend i felt that it may have a bit of a misfire on the road, i was toying with fitting an aldon ignitor kit which i have now done but it still feels like its missing very slightly . Thing is i have a set of silicone ht leads but they have marine use written on them and im unsure as to what implications if any this might have, resistance etc ? probablbly none, I was thinking of changing the leads to be certain and wondered what brand to go for ?? Any recomendations please. Oh and should i alter the plug gaps? And is it likely that the carbs need resetting now i have electronic igniton and Lucus sports coil?  cheers as always.

bods,
i would try changing plugs first,it is not uncommon for them to partially fail with unleaded fuel as it produces more soot?which creates a spark leakage path to earth if they do not run hot enough to burn it off.

any good quality leads should be fine,try the marine ones you have can't see what the difference is,in fact they probably are higher spec than conventional auto ones considering where they are used.they may not be resistive but i doubt it.

Tell me about it!! Plugs failing I mean.

I flooded my spitfire yesterday morning, cannot get it to start at all, even with cleaning the plugs. I need to get another set, however I am now very reluctant to try NGK's again, second set I have had fail in a matter of months (albeit for different reasons). Anyone care to advise on alternatives whilst we are here??

thebrookster wrote:
Tell me about it!! Plugs failing I mean.

I flooded my spitfire yesterday morning, cannot get it to start at all, even with cleaning the plugs. I need to get another set, however I am now very reluctant to try NGK's again, second set I have had fail in a matter of months (albeit for different reasons). Anyone care to advise on alternatives whilst we are here??

That's interesting as I have exactly the same trouble with Champion plugs on my Herald (and the previous two) and now swear by NGK. So I can't advise which ones you should try but do avoid Champions.

I have ngks in at the moment , never use anyother in all my cars, however i agree there are some cars that dont agree with some plugs, just down to personal experience i suppose, Im going to have my carbs set up again..Do these cars suffer with fuel evaporation when you drive them , it gets really hot under the bonnet and i dont have a carb heatshield fitted, are the heatshieds worth the fannying about or not / cheers all

I have had really bad vapor lock in the GT6 on hot days in this hot part of the world, but its been hard to analyze the causes of its recurrence.  Had it bad a few times some years, some not at all.  My immediate generic memory is of usually being stopped for fueling at gas stations out of town, & the car not starting.  It might be a good idea next time to note how early in the hottest season it occurs, & where the last gas came from, as it possibly could be older winter gas taken on from somewhere en route.

Bosh WR78 plugs Fit spitfire mk4/1500. I currently have them in my dolomite 1300 engine and they are very good. However as with all things that are good and last they cost. £3.60 a plug. I would also recommend you don't bother with the ht leads you have and just upgrade to Magnacor leads. You will get no problems from these leads.

Chris.

Archived