Ignition Click - no start

Tom2000

Hi folks,

I've fitted the high torque starter and a new battery but when I turn the ignition over I just get a loud click from the solenoid. The solenoid is only 18 months old so it seems odd that it maybe at fault.

I did however leave my battery connected whilst dry stored which was silly.

Can anyone shed any advice in diagnosing this?

i would put a multimeter at the starter connector to see if power is getting to the motor from the solenoid, if it is then could be the starter is stuck, if you remove the plugs can you turn the engine over by hand?, doubt the engine is stuck but easy thing to rule out.

rich

Tom2000 wrote:
Hi folks,

I've fitted the high torque starter and a new battery but when I turn the ignition over I just get a loud click from the solenoid. The solenoid is only 18 months old so it seems odd that it maybe at fault.

I did however leave my battery connected whilst dry stored which was silly.

Can anyone shed any advice in diagnosing this?

Attach a jump lead to the live battery and then the other end to starter motor end `in`

That will prove either solenoid or motor
If it turns over then its the solenoid  

You haven't said, but are you certain the battery is OK.
After that length of time unused, it could be shagged..........hopefully yo still have the receipt as it should still be under warranty.

But worth checking. Do the headlights come on ok? simple test.

Thanks for the replies folks, got her started and running.

Tested the new high torque starter out of the car and it was engaging but failing to spin. Shortly after I put the old Lucas in and after a huge amount of starter spin managed to get her running well. The new powerlite motor has been repackaged and is going to be returned tomorrow.

Definately could benefit from a higher torque motor as the current is having issues with the compression.

In reply to your thoughts on the battery I replaced it with a new one so know that wasn't the issue.

490 wrote:
Sorry for pointing out something obvious but - the Hi-torques also require both starter motor terminals to be connected together, i.e. one spins, one engages. It couldn't have been that simple?

Thats true, also pattern solenoids are rubbish. the best ones have a red button so you can crank the engine by pushing it, got me out of a few problems over the years.
Theres a couple on ebay at the moment for 99p which is a steal, i can't bid because they won't post to where i live, but if anyone here wins, i would buy the 2nd red top off them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130917795997?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

490 wrote:
Sorry for pointing out something obvious but - the Hi-torques also require both starter motor terminals to be connected together, i.e. one spins, one engages. It couldn't have been that simple?

The high torque motor I have is designed to be a direct replacement, same cables same fitment. It was setup correctly but doesn't work, I've also had the company confirm after sending it back that it was faulty after they tested it. I have a replacement in the post that does work.