Herald Automatic Aerial

Jack Hartshorn

Instead of an automatic ariel you could do what I have done. Get a length of rigid brass wire (brazing rod or similar) making sure it is insulated from the outer cable. Connect that to the centre cable of a length of coaxial cable (the other end fitted with a coaxial plug) and slip the length of brass rod underneath the windscreen seal on the drivers' side inside the car. The rod forms the ariel.

No problems with vandals, forgetting to retract the ariel etc.

Edited by standardthread

1 hour ago, Martins Stag said:

I assume it needs not to touch the steel bodywork of the car too?

Yes, which is why ST suggested tucking it under the windscreen seal - I assume he meant the inner (glass) side of the seal. Being so close to the bodywork will reduce its efficiency as an aerial but most car radios are designed to work with pretty rubbish aerials anyway.

3 hours ago, Martins Stag said:

Is it that simple? I assume it needs not to touch the steel bodywork of the car too?

It is that simple, and is efficient. The bodywork paint and the rubber provide the insulation. The main point being, drivers' side, away from the ignition coil.

A more efficient method I used on my saloon was a length of aluminium tape burglar alarm engineers use on windows attached to the rear windscreen connected to a length of coax through a block connector.

Either way, there are no holes in bodywork for rust to get started.

6 hours ago, standardthread said:

Instead of an automatic ariel you could do what I have done. Get a length of rigid brass wire (brazing rod or similar) making sure it is insulated from the outer cable. Connect that to the centre cable of a length of coaxial cable (the other end fitted with a coaxial plug) and slip the length of brass rod underneath the windscreen seal on the drivers' side inside the car. The rod forms the ariel.

No problems with vandals, forgetting to retract the ariel etc.

2 hours ago, RobPearce said:

Yes, which is why ST suggested tucking it under the windscreen seal - I assume he meant the inner (glass) side of the seal. Being so close to the bodywork will reduce its efficiency as an aerial but most car radios are designed to work with pretty rubbish aerials anyway.

I’d rather get one that out of the car, I don’t really know much to do about electrics and a company near me is going to be fitting a radio, Ariel and speakers for me, if it’s possible if it would fit I’d rather get one to fit there instead of in the windscreen rubber.

I’ll put a picture since there’s already a. Hole drilled into it with a rubber bung 

B52442A4-4FEF-4D62-A91C-B4072DB7FE6E.jpeg

I fitted an old school, I think Audioline, 70s 80s electric arial on my Vitesse. Fitted something similar to my first car when I was 17. Basic toggle switch for up and down. Found on ebay, someone clearing their loft out I think. I have no faith in newly manufactured parts, from personal experience.  For the same reason I found a NOS Selmar pendelum alarm.

1 hour ago, MarkB said:

I fitted an old school, I think Audioline, 70s 80s electric arial on my Vitesse. Fitted something similar to my first car when I was 17. Basic toggle switch for up and down. Found on ebay, someone clearing their loft out I think. I have no faith in newly manufactured parts, from personal experience.  For the same reason I found a NOS Selmar pendelum alarm.

Is that one very big? The depth on the front aerial hole isn’t very deep on my herald

On 20/02/2023 at 17:07, Jack Hartshorn said:

B52442A4-4FEF-4D62-A91C-B4072DB7FE6E.jpeg

Think its a bit of an unusual place to have it for space and proximity to possible interference sources although close to radio I suppose. Most Ive seen are just behind rear window, drivers side, protruding into boot...

2 hours ago, glang said:

Think its a bit of an unusual place to have it for space and proximity to possible interference sources although close to radio I suppose.

When I got my 13/60 there was a retractable aerial fitted in the same place. I changed it as it didn't fully retract any more with a new one that does.

28 minutes ago, standardthread said:

Have you thought of fitting a flexible ariel like those fitted to the roofs of VW Golfs etc. if you can get one, then you can just unscrew it and store it in the car?

Even simpler just fit a standard retractable one.

That’s what I did on Mabel, her aerial wouldn’t fully retract and is on the front passenger side.  It’s not an issue to pull it up before driving and push it down when you get out 

too many electrical extras can just create more trouble in my experience keep it simple I say 😊

22 hours ago, Jack Hartshorn said:

Is that one very big? The depth on the front aerial hole isn’t very deep on my herald

I think you may have a problem with space if fitting to the front screen surround. I think all the electric arial are quite bulky, my one is fitted rear drivers side, so plenty of space below. Because electric arial are heavy they need extra bracing, and don't just rely on the threaded arial base to hold it in place, so need a fair bit of space.

On 23/02/2023 at 10:22, MarkB said:

I think you may have a problem with space if fitting to the front screen surround. I think all the electric arial are quite bulky, my one is fitted rear drivers side, so plenty of space below. Because electric arial are heavy they need extra bracing, and don't just rely on the threaded arial base to hold it in place, so need a fair bit of space.

I think i might get one fitted to the back if i cant fit it in the hole in the front, i don't know whether to drill holes in the back though thats the only thing

I know what you mean. My Vitesse one previous owner, never had a radio fitted, so no holes anywhere. I did think twice, but I like listening to the radio, music, so drilled the rear deck where I believe arials were originally fitted. I also fitted a DAB arial to the screen. If I really wanted to, the hole would be pretty easy to weld up and you would never know it was there.

On 25/02/2023 at 00:56, MarkB said:

I know what you mean. My Vitesse one previous owner, never had a radio fitted, so no holes anywhere. I did think twice, but I like listening to the radio, music, so drilled the rear deck where I believe arials were originally fitted. I also fitted a DAB arial to the screen. If I really wanted to, the hole would be pretty easy to weld up and you would never know it was there.

that is a fair point and i dont plan on selling it any time soon, i might drill a hole in the back for one i dont see me taking it out anytime in the future so it is definitely an option, i'm considering one of the windscreen ones but i think i will most likely drill a hole in the back