Fuel on the C2C

Jos

Just a quick query. I am new to doing the C2C and the only thing that I am concerned about is petrol availability on the run. My car is very thirsty at the best of times and I am only confident of doing about 200miles between refueling. Will there be any information about petrol stations open at night, especially in Wales where petrol stations can be hard to find at the best of times, or should I carry enough fuel in cans for the section between the statutory halt and the finish (which I estimate to be about 250 miles)?

Jos

The route from the Statutory Halt passes Shrewsbury and there are a number of petrol stations there - Esso Shrewsbury is on the ring road and is shown as a 24 hour station so brim your tank there. Its about 150 miles from there to Lampter, (where the routes split) & there are unlikely to be any stations open anywhere near this part of our route.

From Lampter the shortest route to Whitland is 37 miles, and according to Google there is a 24 hour filling station on that route at Windy Corner garage about 10 miles from Lampter. From Windy Corner you should also be able to get back the Cardigan & St David's routes via Pencadar B4459 /  B4336 / A486 and rejoin the A465 at Horeb without losing to much time if you want to complete the longer route.

There are multiple petrol stations in Lampter, Cardigan and Fishguard, but they may not open before 7am.

I find Google Maps is a good way of checking the latest information - to check a particular station, when you click on it it will show you if its open now, but in most cases, besides the times there is a drop down arrow which allows you to see all the opening times every day.

Hope this helps

Edited by Howard
To clarify location of Windy Corner
  • Like 2

Most of the smaller bodied Triumphs will be in the same situation, my Vitesse has a range of about 220 Miles. I will carry two 5 litres cans which will give me an extra 50 to 60 miles and I suspect most teams will carry at least one 5 litre can and will be happy to help a stranded crew.

As Howard suggests do some research before the start even phone the garages up if necessary, I had to do this two years ago for the section through the Durham dales.
Once you have all the information then you can publish it on this group for the rest of us.

Remember where the last garage is before a remote section and fill up even if you can only get a few litres in.

Mark

34 minutes ago, Rutty said:

Most of the smaller bodied Triumphs will be in the same situation, my Vitesse has a range of about 220 Miles. I will carry two 5 litres cans which will give me an extra 50 to 60 miles and I suspect most teams will carry at least one 5 litre can and will be happy to help a stranded crew.

Alternatively trade them in for TR7's which will complete the shortest alternative (380 miles) on one tank without topping up anywhere! 🤣🤣🤣

This is what I've found: for anyone wanting Shell V-power there's also a 24hour Shell station just off the Shrewsbury by-pass: Thieves Lane (I hope their prices don't match the name!). After that there's a Texaco in Fishguard that opens at 6am and a 24 hour Texaco approaching Haverfordwest.

Good luck with preparations everyone and I look forward to seeing you all at the start!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/05/2023 at 16:41, Howard said:

Alternatively trade them in for TR7's which will complete the shortest alternative (380 miles) on one tank without topping up anywhere! 🤣🤣🤣

Howard I am going to be interested what my EFI does with the Air Fuel Ratio gauge adjusting fuelling versus yours on carbs....

• 2 weeks later...

I have just been down to Pembrokeshire on holiday. The Esso garage in Fishguard is not 24hrs although the website shows that it is (I called in to ask). However Tesco Cardigan is 24hours (pay by card only) and also has E5. When you get to the roundabout in Cardigan on the A484, instead of turning left onto the A487 turn right onto the A487, 0.5miles turn left at traffic lights then after 150yds turn left into Tesco.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Jos said:

I have just been down to Pembrokeshire on holiday. The Esso garage in Fishguard is not 24hrs although the website shows that it is (I called in to ask). However Tesco Cardigan is 24hours (pay by card only) and also has E5. When you get to the roundabout in Cardigan on the A484, instead of turning left onto the A487 turn right onto the A487, 0.5miles turn left at traffic lights then after 150yds turn left into Tesco.  

Thanks Jos, did the Fishguard one tell you when they do open on Sunday mornings?

Sorry John, I did ask but my brain is like a sieve but I think they said 06.00. There is also a Murco petrol station/conveniece store in Fishguard actually on the route just as you leave Fishguard which may open early. I didn't look much further after I found that Tesco Cardigan, which is about 20miles before Fishguard, was open 24hrs.