Fitted a Wireless iPhone Charger

Buttercup

Having looked at a number of 3D-printed solutions for mobile phones I decided to go a different direction. I found this charger on eBay for a tenner and thought this would most likely fit well on top of the ashtray in our Spitfire 1500.

I installed it yesterday and wired it up today. It stood the test driving around and didn't fall off and I am happy with the result! 🙂 

Below some of the photos I took.

20230523_145521327_iOS.jpg

20230523_145540085_iOS.jpg

20230523_141812993_iOS.jpg

20230523_141824848_iOS.jpg

20230523_141924537_iOS.jpg

20230523_144058614_iOS.jpg

20230523_145128792_iOS.jpg

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Howard said:

Brilliant idea 🙂

Questions:-

• Whats the phone app in the picture.
  • How did you fix the ashtray to stop it tipping backward, as can be seen in the first picture?

Thanks! The app is 'Rally Tripmeter', it's free for two months after that it's about £30.00, we used it last weekend and worked really well, allows you to reverse as well as adjust in case you have take a wrong turn. 🙂

Well spotted! I took it out again and clamped the metal frame that holds the ashtray more tight which now stops it from moving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

Might get away with that appp on a Clubmans event, definitely not on a National B type event, nothing that shows average speeds, and no mobile phones in the cabin. 🙂

Thanks, I don’t think I would have to worry about that! Mainly just used for club events! 😀

UPDATE: On eBay it states you can connect it to 12v DC but packaging states 5v or 9V DC. I checked with seller and was advised to try it, I did and it worked but not for long! 

So DON'T connect directly to 12v, get a step down convertor to either 9v or 5v.