Electric fan thermostat dial position

PaulB

2 hours ago, PaulB said:

I believe that is a 28mm hose. Does anyone know if that’s correct? So I don’t have to take the hose off to measure it before ordering the part. 

It is 32mm (1 1/4").

On 15/09/2023 at 16:46, glang said:

Sorry Tim cant believe in front or behind makes much difference to air flow - a restriction is a restriction😁 We talking very little restriction as well so in a Spitfire it makes sense to have it in front as theres much more space...

I tried it in front of my rad on my Dolomite, it created too much turbulence and didn't work so I made some aluminium brackets to move the rad slightly forward, now it works perfectly. I also used the filler plug in the rad to fit the sensor.

On my previous Dolomite I fitted the sensor in line in the bottom hose from the same supplier Amy listed, again it worked perfectly. But on that car I also fitted an aluminium rad from a Honda with fan already fitted (behind the rad).

• Like 1

Turbulence is strange as the fan shouldnt be running when your driving along at any kind of speed. If the fan tries to run other than when stationary, in traffic jams or extremely steep (1st gear) hills either its control temperature is set too low or the cooling system/engine has another problem.

Also for maximum benefit either in front or behind its important the fan is as tight against the rad core as possible or ideally installed with a shroud...

23 minutes ago, standardthread said:

I tried it in front of my rad on my Dolomite, it created too much turbulence and didn't work so I made some aluminium brackets to move the rad slightly forward, now it works perfectly.

3 hours ago, glang said:

Turbulence is strange as the fan shouldnt be running when your driving along at any kind of speed. If the fan tries to run other than when stationary, in traffic jams or extremely steep (1st gear) hills either its control temperature is set too low or the cooling system/engine has another problem.

Turbulence when stationary, when the fan should be doing its job. There was too much hot air circulating in front of the rad and little hot air getting through the rad even with the fan tight up against the rad.

Ah ok yes might depend on the fan as they vary a lot in airflow and pressure produced. The SPAL website is very good with pdfs showing all the dimensions and performance of their products. Also an advantage of mounting in front of the radiator is that the fan motor itself should run cooler as well as operate in air which is slightly denser so increasing efficiency...