Electric fan thermostat dial position

PaulB

Hi,

I’m thinking of fitting an electric fan to my Spitfire 1500. 
The one I was thinking of buying has a thermostat dial that controls the temperature that the fan comes on at. See pic.

Has anyone here fitted one of these, or something similar, if so I was wondering where did you locate it?  

I’ve seen one guy fit it inside the engine bay near the radiator shroud.

Thanks,

Paul

IMG_2131.jpeg

Id suggest the other side (nearside) of the radiator if possible would be better as then the thermostats metal capilliary tube is closer to the top hose (where its usually inserted). Then that doesnt have to cross the engine, as in the photo, plus its also the side nearest to the battery so the electrical circuit will be shorter...

• Like 1

On temp will depend on what thermostat you have fitted. You don't want it coming on before the thermostat is fully open, and really about 5 degrees above that. 

Most people have an 82 degree stat fitted all year (though some will have the winter stat at 88 fitted) so setting the fan to come on at 88-90 will be about right in most cases. 

Plan B is to work out where teh temp gauge sits during normal use once warmed up. If bang in the middle of the gauge, I would suggest having the fan come on when it reaches 3/4. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FloydP said:

Hi Paul, I’ve got the revotec controller on the stag as it seemed like a neater install, it sits inline with the hose. I looked for a picture of it and found they do a kit for the spitfire.

https://revotec.com/product/triumph-spitfire-22-row-wide-radiator-retrofit-cooling-kit/

I do prefer the look of that Floyd but I’ve gone for a cheaper eBay option. 
Maybe an option later on.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. This is a great site. I’ve now ordered the fan and thermostat.  I’m going to fit the fan in front of the radiator, as glang mentions, the air has to flow through so whether the fan is in front or behind the radiator there is little difference in blocking air flow. This will give me more space. Also I have a wide radiator fitted so there will still be plenty of area not covered by the fan that will cool at speed when the fan is not working.

Glang,

I will concede that maybe in a Spitfire it is not so important to have a sucker fan, but a GT6 has such a minimal radiator surface area, that I would say essential. 

I am not a fan of those Kenlowe type probes that one inserts through a top hose joint, always looks like a leak will eventually happen. Or cutting and inserting a take off block and fitting a union.

Tim, I know what you mean I don’t think it looks right the way it just sticks in.

I like Amy’s suggestion, so may go down that route and use that instead of the thermostat switch provided with the kit. I also plan to wire a manual switch in the dash as a back up. 

Amy’s link points to a 95 degree switch, should I go for a 90 degree switch on a Spit as Clive suggests? 

9 minutes ago, PaulB said:

Tim, I know what you mean I don’t think it looks right the way it just sticks in.

I like Amy’s suggestion, so may go down that route and use that instead of the thermostat switch provided with the kit. I also plan to wire a manual switch in the dash as a back up. 

Amy’s link points to a 95 degree switch, should I go for a 90 degree switch on a Spit as Clive suggests? 

I have been thinking (or trying to remember!) what I have in my dolomite and that came from my spitfire. I made a similar adaptor that used the large type radiator switch, and fitted in teh bottom radiator hose (which is MUCH more convenient on a spitfire etc as it has a decent straight section)

I can check the temp rating later, but a sensor in the bottom hose is set lower than the top hose as the temp drop is about 5-6 degress from inlet to bottom. 

I bought a couple of those hose adaptors for VERY little money off ebay as I needed to have 1/2" takeoff (drilled it out a tad and tapped to take a hose fitting) and they are great. There will be a huge range of temperatures for fan switches available. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PaulB said:

Amy’s link points to a 95 degree switch, should I go for a 90 degree switch on a Spit as Clive 

The switch has a 10°C operating range, it switches on at 95°C & off at 85°C. The off temperature has to be above the thermostat opening temperature, I'm running a 82°C thermostat therefore it would be the correct one for me. They do lots of other switches with different temperature ranges & it's a nice anodised aluminium housing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I had the Kenlowe type that goes in the hose…. It broke and now I just use a switch. 

Im with you on this one Alex as Ive tried various fan control set ups but have ended up with just a manual switch with relay. Its powered from the radio position of the ignition switch so I can run it for 30 secs after stopping and not forget it😯 Works well as she tells me when shes getting hot and I can anticipate being held up in traffic etc plus the wiring is much easier (just one large wire from battery via fuse to relay under dash and out to fan which is earthed locally). The switch has a bright LED on it so I dont leave it running when not needed...

• Like 2

The main problem with the Spitfire 1500 engine is that it gets very hot compared with the 1300 unit in the Mark IV etc. Despite this Triumph still fitted the same radiator to it as used in the Mark IV which is bordering on inadequate.

Fitting an electric fan is a very complicated way of trying to improve cooling in a Spitfire.  The simplest way and one of the best upgrades to a Spitfire 1500 is to fit a bigger full width radiator. The one I fitted to mine 6 years ago is made by Bastuck (pictured), bolts straight in and looks very original.  The only difference is that you need a slightly longer bottom hose. The extra capacity is more than adequate and I have found that the temp gauge does not fluctuate much whatever the ambient temperature or driving conditions.  Despite having a fair complexion the car gets used and driven hard and has recently completed the NC500 (Aug 2021) including Applecross Pass and Border Raiders (great event) 2022 & 2023 plus holidays etc.

Yes, electric fans do have other advantages eg faster warm up in cold weather but do use your car in winter ?- if so there are cheap and easy ways to circumvent this.

Before finally taking the plunge there is a very good section on Overheating in the technical archive on the Canley Classics website that is worth reading.

PS The extra fuel filter was fitted as a temporary precaution after I serviced the fuel pump.  Now back to metal pipe.

IMG_3772.JPG

Yes I think Triumph wanted the 1500 to run hotter for emissions reasons but this means the cooling system is closer to its limit and with age and todays driving conditions runs the risk of overheating. There are also aluminium wide rads available at very reaonable cost if originality isnt important.

However if the overheating is in traffic and stationary rather than on the move the problem is more likely to be down to lack of fan airflow (assuming of course the cooling system is clean and in good condition)...  

Nice looking and clean engine Kevin. Very smart.

I don’t have any overheating issues. I’ve already got an aluminium full width radiator fitted. 
Just fitting it for faster warm up and seems a waste having a fan spinning when it’s not needed 90% of the time. 🙂 

• Like 2

Dont think youll see much difference in warm up to be honest as the thermostat being closed is what controls this. Also note that at anymore than walking pace the airflow through the rad is more than any fan, mechanical or electric, is going to give. This means that the energy a mechanical fan is supposed to consume is pretty low once on the move as its not actually pulling the air through anymore.

You do get reduced noise when stationary IF the electric fan isnt running...

• Like 1

I’m going to order the switch that Amy suggested. 

I don’t think there is enough straight hose length at the top to fit it there so will probably fit it on the bottom hose coming from the radiator. 
I believe that is a 28mm hose. Does anyone know if that’s correct? So I don’t have to take the hose off to measure it before ordering the part. 
Thanks