Powerspark - quality and customer service issues

yorkshire_spam

My Powerspark Simon BBC ignition unit failed on the RBRR about 1 month after purchase. As it was purchased through eBay I tried to request a return, which has been declined. In addition to the unit failing prematurely the magnetic ring was so poorly made that I had to use the old one from a previous unit to get it working.

I've contacted the supplier to ask why the declined my return and request a refund, I'll see what they say.

In the mean time it's important that you all know that a supplier and product I've previously recommended is no longer a "quality item" and that the supplier's customer service is (so far) seriously lacking. 

Should they rectify the matter in a satisfactory way, I'll obviously post an update/correction.

• Like 2

It seems to be so variable! Ive got one on my Vitesse and its been fine - certainly got no complaints on the build quality except for the trigger ring from which the top cap came off when trying to pull the ring off the dizzy cam. The magnets flew out and it was quite a job to get them back in the right way round as yes the sensor is north or south pole sensitive....

I can imagine the subject of warranty claims would be difficult as I believe the units can be damaged by reversing the electrical connection but its impossible to prove whether or not this has been done.

33 minutes ago, Radders said:

I bought a car with a powerspark distributor last year. I replaced it straightaway as I've been where you are before. 

The contrast in quality is very stark. I first fitted a powerspark ignition in 2013, that unit lasted the 2014 RBRR, 2015 10CR, 2017 10CR and numerous other events. I only replaced it this year because I physically damaged the wires due to my own stupidity. The new unit - magnetic ring doesn't fit (use the old one is the suppliers advice) and the unit fails in less than a month. Clearly their approach to business has changed fundamentally.

I converted my 2000 Estate from positive to negative earth, this meant changing the powerspark ignition too, the magnetic ring on the - Earth system didn't fit, had to reuse the one from the + Earth kit, very poor quality control. I have a 123+ dizzy to fit once new motor is installed, I don't trust the powerspark kit, too cheap to be much good. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I went through a similar to-do with Powerspark as yorkshire_spam recently. Fired up the car once on the electronic ignition. Refused to start again, switched back to points and fired right up. They were insistent on sending out a replacement module, rather than refunding and started quoting outdated consumer rights legislation at me. The emails from them became downright unpleasant and I resorted to obtaining a refund via PayPal. Not what they used to be, unfortunately.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, abandonearth said:

I went through a similar to-do with Powerspark as yorkshire_spam recently. Fired up the car once on the electronic ignition. Refused to start again, switched back to points and fired right up. They were insistent on sending out a replacement module, rather than refunding and started quoting outdated consumer rights legislation at me. The emails from them became downright unpleasant and I resorted to obtaining a refund via PayPal. Not what they used to be, unfortunately.

The replacement they sent me is on the shelf - I'll probably never use it. Glad you managed to fight via paypal and get the refund. I've decided to give Accuspark a go - clearly a very similar product but slightly different base plate design, so maybe a different maker? Anyway, I'll see how I get on with it.... it can't be any worse!

28 minutes ago, glang said:

Not sure theres much difference between the Powerspark and Accuspark units (and those from other suppliers) as they look very similar except maybe the plastic case colour🤔

For the unit I have the base plate is very different and the magnetic ring is of a much better quality/fit on the accuspark vs the new powerspark. 

As I've said, my original powerspark worked and lasted superbly - the new ones are clearly much lower quality - the last powerspark I had, the magnetic ring was loose on the dizzy spindle and their solution was "use your old one"

• Like 1