Spitfire rear suspension problem

Howard

Can anyone assist with the following problem which has been passed to me while Rob Pearce continues his recovery.

"Hi Howard. I have just replaced the rear spring on my early  1972 mk4 spitfire. But now the rear wheels seem to kick out a long way at the top, the spring is the same length as the old floppy one. Can you give me some advice please. Cheers Vic Ayres."

Many thanks

Howard

• Like 1

I replaced the rear spring on my 1500 with one from a reputable supplier, but ended up with a high ride height AND positive camber. The only solution seemed to be to fit a lowering block to bring in back closer to the original position/alignment. 

They might have some luck pushing back to the supplier, but I doubt it. 

• Like 1

It seems to catch many people out, that they should not tighten all the bolts to the moving parts of the suspension, until the car's weight is on it.  With tight bolts, the bushes grip the parts and hold them in a lifted position.

Get under, loosen all the bolts, then bring the car down.  To make access easier, support the car with axle stands under the wheel uprights, so that its weight is on the suspension.   Bounce it a few times then retighten.   CARE!       Pile the rear wheels under the car, as a safety measure while you are under, or else bouncing! I'll be surprised if the ride height doesn't improve.

John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

I replaced the rear spring on my 1500 with one from a reputable supplier, but ended up with a high ride height AND positive camber. The only solution seemed to be to fit a lowering block to bring in back closer to the original position/alignment. 

They might have some luck pushing back to the supplier, but I doubt it. 

I had exactly the same issue & came to exactly the same solution. 

3 hours ago, Howard said:

Can anyone assist with the following problem which has been passed to me while Rob Pearce continues his recovery.

"Hi Howard. I have just replaced the rear spring on my early  1972 mk4 spitfire. But now the rear wheels seem to kick out a long way at the top, the spring is the same length as the old floppy one. Can you give me some advice please. Cheers Vic Ayres."

Many thanks

Howard

Assuming the old one was just giving a low ride height, it would probably be the best option to rebuild the original one with new buttons.

Hi all. Firstly, thankyou all for your advice. I have tried it all but to no avail.  So I have now come to the conclusion that I have been supplied with a rear spring for a late mk4 spitfire, which is longer than the early mk4 which I have. Will contact Rimmers to see if they can help. Thanks again for your advice , Vic

It could be true about the first mk4 but I dont think they would have had swing springs then.

I think your spring will settle in time and use but needs a spacer block to really get it how you want it now. Its not a major investment and you might even get it in without removing the spring again... 

24 minutes ago, Vic Ayres said:

Hmm! Mine have only got 5 leaves. I had read somewhere that early mk4 had a shorter axle than later and 1500 models. Oh well, think I might try repair kit for old spring over the winter months. Fingers crossed that will work. Thanks everyone. Vic.

Shorter drive shafts(axle) same spring. 

22 minutes ago, Alex said:

Shorter drive shafts(axle) same spring. 

So they had swing spring with short shafts? Take it the swing spring is the same length as the fixed type then so when used with longer shafts the upright angle must change?

Vic, the biggest block will lower the car by 1" but you will need the 4 longer studs and then, as I say, later the car will probably lower itself more....