Which gearbox!?

abandonearth

Evening all,

I am on the cusp of ordering a rebuilt gearbox for my Spitfire which, at some point in its life had a 1300 Dolomite engine put in. Going by the numbers it should have a 3 rail box - but on closer inspection I'm not sure this is what's fitted. I can't strip the interior out as it's my every day car, so I've attached some pictures of what is visible. Hopefully someone will be able to say Ah-ha!

If it helps, reverse is lift and to the right. J type overdrive fitted. 

PXL_20231212_195929963.jpg

PXL_20231212_195455806.jpg

PXL_20231212_195207748.jpg

PXL_20231212_195112929.jpg

PXL_20231212_124128504.jpg

Yes you have a later single rail box there but I believe all mkIV Spitfires had 3 rail units although after FH60000 they came with J type rather than D type overdrives. I think that Rimmers link shows the wrong type of gearbox.

However could both the engine and gearbox from a Dolomite been used in your car? 

The single rail is stronger than the other and in overdrive form an inch longer. Im not sure if the ratios were exactly the same but if youve been happy with the way it drives the best is probably to replace like for like.

The correct unit is here but even then its not simple because two types of input shaft seals were used, scroll and rubber, and as this is in the bell housing you would probably have to get a box to suit... 

Triumph Spitfire Gearbox Only - Overdrive Type | Rimmer Bros