Tamper proof HS6 SUs

colmiller

Months after finding out about the packing pieces under the engine mounts that allow access to the retaining bolts on the air filter I have finally got a new set of mounts fitted correctly (my excuse is that its been winter in Sydney). The old mounts were completely destroyed leaving the engine sitting directly on the cross member.

Now that I can get at my carbies I find that they are the "Tamper Proof" variety that don't provide for mixture adjustment. I've never seen these before ! My engine is running very rich at idle and I need to do something about it.

Does anyone know if its either possible to adjust the mixture on these or even better retro fit the usual mixture screw arrangement.

Is this an aberration only fitted to Ozzie built 2500TC ?

Ok the book says that "some OZ models were fitted with tamper proof carbies" etc. Looks like you lucked out Col. I think a set of adjustable HS6's appeared on Ebay a while back about $150 but postage could be a bit. Bits and pieces are being advertised all the time keep a look out. Another point is that the "capstat" jets AKA "waxstats" can and do seize up in the fully rich position which probably explains your mixture problems. These are readily obtainable from the usual suspects. HTH
Cheers
Rod

Yes conversions for HS6's are available but this won't cure the lack of adjustment issue. Believe me the fastest, cheapest fix is to find a decent second hand set of carbies (adjustable of course) I don't think you can get new carbies. Call Burlen their advice is free and they know what they're talking about.
Cheers
Rod

Quoted from Gt6s

Or 4 one p pieces.

Laurence

Thanks Laurence, I did find a US Triumph site where the recommendation was to remove the wax cartridge and replace it with a couple of coins. I guess that means its possible to tune for idle mixture by changing the thickness of the coin spacers. Sounds effective but fiddly I wonder if a bolt threaded into the base would work (screw the bolt up to weaken - down to enrich). I may give that a try.

My goodness Burlen are on the ball.

I had an email reply from their tech services people within hours of sending my enquiry from the other side of the world.

There is indeed a kit available to retro fit standard jets to HS6 carbies and at less than 20 quid. Interesting as replacement Capstar jets are 50% more expensive.

Part numbers are AUE1118 & AUE1119. I assume for front & rear carbies.

Gday Col
try this http://www.sumidel.com/ in Lakemba NSW
I'm still somewhat confused, my book (see scanned page) shows that the jet housing seems to be sealed. Can you confirm that you are able to "get at" the workings? IMHO a jet conversion still won't cure your adjustment issue despite what Burlin said. Hopefully I'm wrong. If/When you contact Midel attach a copy of my pic (if possible)
HTH Cheers Rod

It looks like there's more than one version. Mine had a removeable plug blocking the idle adjustment but just a plate stopping the hex adjusting nut from being moved more than one flat. That bit can be removed.
Sorry no longer have this car (late NZ assembled S ) so I can't check.
Tony.

It looks like there's more than one version. Mine had a removeable plug blocking the idle adjustment but just a plate stopping the hex adjusting nut from being moved more than one flat. That bit can be removed.
Sorry no longer have this car (late NZ assembled S ) so I can't check but I can't see why you can't replace the jet assy with a conventional one.
Tony.

Hello Col,

just a thought after seeing the pictures, check the needles are fitted correctly, note in the picture the shoulder is flush with the base of the piston. They could have been fitted too far into the pistons which will give a rich mixture.

Alec

Thanks guys, Rod,  I have emailed Midel I'll have to wait for our public holiday lethargy to wear off before I get a reply but at least they are close. I'll let you know. I have the same manual as you which doesnt show things too clearly. I believe the upgrade/retro fit will completely replace the waxstat with a new assembly that will be adjustable in the usual manner.

Tony, Yes there must be a couple of versions. The slow running screw is just a blanking plug but my jet assembly is as shown in Rods drawing, a whole new type of sealed unit.

Alec, Thanks I have checked all those sort of things. Now that I am starting to understand these units a little They may not be as bad as I first thought. The excessive richness is only when cold. As the under bonnet temp rises it does get better ( which is how the things are supposed to work). I still prefer the idea of being in control and plan to swap them out when able.

Thanks again everybody. I will keep you posted.

Colin