Rolling road (with HS4 Knowledge) near warrington?

molten

Hello all.

First, want to say thanks to Gt6Craig who helped ballancing carbs yesterday.

Car is running well enough to get to a rolling road soon.
Anyone know a good station near warrington/wigan area that knows the HS4 carbs well?

Thanks
scott

There is a place that does mini's in burnley but was hoping someone could recommend something a bit closer to WA3.

wILL KEEP GOOGLING.

Just wanted to find a place than new how to tune HS4 carbs so they are not charging me whilst they learn about the carb!!

There are a couple, one in Bury RE Performance and as you say there is mini Sport near Burnley, I have used both and both are very good, however Mini world is slightly bit cheaper.

I can confirm that both have good knowlege of HS4 and Webber carbs.

Rob

http://www.minisport.com/mini-spare-parts/Rolling_Road_Tuning.html

http://www.re-performancecentre.co.uk/

PS does anyone know of a decent RR for injection (megasquirt) in the north?

sparky_spit wrote:
Hi Scott - I'm interested to see your results as your engine is very similar to my, as yet still unfinished, 1500.  I'd be very interested to see what advance curve you end up using to match the Mk3 camshaft and HS4s with AAQ/yellow springs.

Mike

Hi Mike
Yes, i remember you mentioning similarities.

Ahh, just noticed you mention yellow springs. I havent put those in mine. What is the advantage with yelloe springs Mike?

Rolling road wont be for a while. But as soon as it has MOT, it will be on its way to RR though.

cheers

2597 wrote:

Hi Mike
Yes, i remember you mentioning similarities.

Ahh, just noticed you mention yellow springs. I havent put those in mine. What is the advantage with yelloe springs Mike?

Rolling road wont be for a while. But as soon as it has MOT, it will be on its way to RR though.

cheers

Well I'm no expert, but yellow springs are stronger than standard and seem to be the recommendation to go with AAQ needles when using a tubular manifold, K&Ns, and some mild head work like port matching, short side radius smoothing, etc. I've also got the late Mk4 head with the bigger valves, and this give about 9.6:1 CR on a 1500 (if I remember right). This set up was done originally by Clive Manvers, when the engine was in another car, and ran really well, but I'm not sure whether he just guessed at AAQ/yellow springs or came to that outcome from experience and/or a RR session. So please don't take what I've said as gospel as I don't really know much about it personally, and you can only really tell what spring/needle combination you need for your own engine by proper testing on that engine. Maybe someone who knows this stuff properly can comment on why a stronger spring is desirable?

My engine is going back together in the same state of tune except for a Mk3 camshaft (like yours) and a cold air feed/TimW airbox with MGB stub stacks.  I'm using an Amethyst box to give me control over the advance curve, mapping it initially for a Mk3 curve.