Mabel’s resurrection - again

Wendy Dawes

So we suspect Mabel spun a big end a couple of weeks ago,  so tomorrow begins  the engine strip down ready  for reconditioning .  She will be transported to my stable yard on Sunday where there’s a bigger place to work on her and plenty of room to store all the bits we remove

I’ll  keep a picture diary of the process and  keep the progress updated IMG_1623.thumb.jpeg.3676dd008b103ba0819ead975af2fb7f.jpeg

Edited by Wendy Dawes
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Engine out   today and investigative surgery,  end shells just started to wear but more intriguing was finding that a piston ring had broken on  piston No. 3 and had erupted through the side of the piston   Explains the metal deposit on the piston crown 

IMG_2008.jpeg

IMG_2007.jpeg

IMG_2006.jpeg

IMG_2005.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wendy Dawes said:

Engine out   today and investigative surgery,  end shells just started to wear but more intriguing was finding that a piston ring had broken on  piston No. 3 and had erupted through the side of the piston   Explains the metal deposit on the piston crown 

IMG_2008.jpeg

IMG_2007.jpeg

IMG_2006.jpeg

IMG_2005.jpeg

It's good to find the fault & know the crank is fine. A rebore and matching pistons will get the bottom end sorted. 

You'll be back behind the wheel in no time. 😊

3 hours ago, Wendy Dawes said:

What do you think caused the piston ring to shatter like that Any , it’s been suggested overheating but I haven’t had an overheat issue with the car since I’ve owned it 

There's multiple reasons it could have been, reading the various posts by yourself and Darren, the most likely cause was just wear and tear, I suspect the ring groove would have been excessively worn & the ring was chattering in the piston.

Thanks Amy that’s the conclusion we reached, suspect it caught in the rather pronounced ‘lip’ at the top of the bore on the stroke and tore a chunk off the top ring.

engine recondition being sorted in next couple of weeks 

• Like 1

Every time it went up & down the bore it would have been expanding and contracting as it went in & out of the worn area of the bore. 

The rebore & new pistons will fix it & it should be good for another 100k.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok post cleaning update ladies and gents … all the engine components have now been dismantled and checked for damage and wear within our ability to assess them . There are small areas of wear on the ends and mains with small areas of copper showing on the main and big end bearings / journals but no scoring . The piston ring in no3 which can be seen above, fractured and passed the piston crown embedding in the crown and putting small marks on the cylinder head . This has clearly happened previously to no4 bore as there is greater damage of an identical nature to no4 piston crown even though its rings were unbroken . There is no damage to the mating surfaces of the head and the gasket remained intact . Greater wisdom seems to confirm that the head will be fine providing their are no cracks or other damage . It cleaned up nicely but I will leave any machining to the experts . Wendy will take the opportunity to have all new valves and hardened exhaust valve seats fitted . She has already amassed new valves , and guides . The cylinder walls are standard size currently and have a small ridge at the top which will need boring/ honing with new pistons and rings to match . Mabel being an early 12/50 has the smaller diameter cam followers from the 948 engine , they all needed a gentle tap to remove and one had a small amount of damage on its face . They will also be replaced . The cam gear appeared to be in good order with no hooking on the sprockets and the tensioner in good condition, the cam looks ok to an untrained eye with wear on the fuel pump lobe . It too will be checked over . In all it has been a very interesting learning experience and although it’s going to get expensive from now on it has been very rewarding .. my thanks to Colin Wake and Kevin Hagger for pouring over the pictures and giving advice . 

IMG_1043.jpeg

IMG_1042.jpeg

IMG_1044.jpeg

IMG_1041.jpeg

IMG_1045.jpeg

Darren, I think there is a pair of spitfire SU's being fitted? Would it be wise to get a spitfire cam and get the head skimmed to get the CR te same as a spitfire, so you get the better performance? (I will be doing the head and cam on my vitesse 1600 later in the year, the std head is ridicously low CR and the cam is very very mild)

Hi Clive iMabel is a 12/50 so has a mk2 spitfire cam shaft . I’m having the engine completely machined top to bottom  oversize pistons to suit and also crank bearings and thrust washers to suit, , new valves, guides  springs, hardened seals, new cam followers, oil pump, timing gear,  and anything else which need replacing  so should get her sorted   Thanks Clive  😊

• Like 1

Aha, I have consilted the oracle, and yes, the 1250 has the 18 58 cam (late mk2 and mk3 spit had a sportier cam, which I had assumed was used far all mk2 spits, every day is a schoolday)

Definately worth looking at the compression ratio though, I know my 1600 vitesse needs about a 40thou skim to get things a bit perkier with a MK2 vitesse cam.

• 2 weeks later...