Stromberg CDSE Overhaul

xebec

Hi,
I have come to the stage now during my restoration of my 1971 GT6 MK3 rotoflex of overhauliing the carbs. They are CDSE's by the looks of it and I have a couple of questions if I may.
Upon removing the air compensating valve I notice that the PO had put silicone sealant around where the valve is inserted into the body of the carb. I have found some info and it would appear there are supposed to be inner and outer seals. I have an overhaul kit and have found 2 flat seals that I assume are what is required for this to seal properly. Is this correct?
I have not taken the valve to pieces as I am hoping that it is okay and will leave well alone as it looks complicated.
I have also found in the overhaul kit a new jet where the needle fits into. I am trying to figure out whether or not I need to renew this or not and am thinking maybe I will however how do I get the old one out and how do I insert the new one. The part I am talking about is in picture 1 below the air correction valve. I am also going to renew the rubber ring around the needle which I have found some info about and seems reasonably straight forward. Any info as to how to go about any further overhaul or what is necessary gratefully received. Regards, Ken

Did mine last year! You are correct those are the temperature compensator seals and you are quite right not to mess with the innards of compensators!  ??) It's a bi-metallic strip which opens up as it gets hot. There is a screw inside that sets the temperature at which the strip opens and once disturbed very difficult to get set right again.

I found this link very informative although the guy has the bigger 175s they are very similar.

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Carbs/CarbsI/CarbsI.htm

I assume your carbs are top adjusting as that's a jet for a top adjusting carb.  ;D  I changed my jets. They are very easy to push out using an old drill bit, a vice and a block of wood. And a block of wood and the vice to get the new ones in. Notice that the jet is NOT flush with the base of the carb but a few mm down. Use one carb as a model for the other. Are you going to change the needles as well? There are earlys and lates, I think yours are earlys looking at the jet.

I found the rubber ring around the jet more difficult as you have to wind the needle right down till it disconnects with the mechanism and pull it out. Mine did not want to come out!  You then push the mechanism up and out, there's a tiny retaining washer which can ping anywhere, if your not careful.  ;D

Good luck!

Hi Doug,
Thanks for that, yes I am going to change the needles as well. I have received part Nr 520013 from Rimmers which hopefully are the ones I require. In order to press the jet out I assume it needs to be from the inside of the carb outwards not the other way round? Regards, Ken

Yes, from inside the body towards the float chamber. And, from inside the float chamber towards the main body for the new one.

I used the Rimmer kit. You may find there are some bits left over as they try to cover every variation of Stromberg.  However, they only include the early jets, as I found out.  :-/ They wouldn't change them as they are part of a kit so I had to buy the late jets separately. But with a Mk1 I'm sure you've got the right ones.  

Did you get the spindles and butterflys as well? Watch out for the butterflys, they have to go in the right way round, there is a lip on one side.