Best Carb Needles

jamie31888

Hi Guys,

Its been a while since I last posted on here, but I need some help with carb needles/performance.

Im currently running the standard "BO" needles, these are the fixed type not sprung loaded.

I have no problems with the current setup but wanted to know if I could improve performance with a different needle?

The car is a 1970 mk3 O/D.
Standard HS2's
Full stainless sytem (extractor manifold and twin exhaust)
Pancake filters.

Thanks For your help!

Jamie

Try this web site http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/suneedle/ .  It will let you compare 4 needles against your current one but beware the needles do not run in alphabetical order e.g. BH is is closer to BO than BP.

It won't tell you what needle to use but will help you find a needle that is say a little richer at the mid point if you think that is what you need for an improvement.

Hopefully someone will come along who knows if that is the standard or whether it is a needle suited to the change in gas flows you have with the exhaust and pancake filters.  You might also need a change of springs as is recommended if you have HS4s.

I know this isn't the answer to your question but have fun with Minty Lamb.

PS There's a hot bed of Triumph owners in the Luton area so it might be worth looking around there or the local villages when you come back to the mainland.

AAT or ATB should do you, but unless your car has flat spots when you accelerate then you probably won't need them. Do your pancakes have cold air going to them? Are they the restrictive skinny ones? A yes and a no in that order will make a big difference to performance. Also, fitting firmer springs (forget which it is, red or yellow) can help as well.

ferny wrote:
AAT or ATB should do you, but unless your car has flat spots when you accelerate then you probably won't need them. Do your pancakes have cold air going to them? Are they the restrictive skinny ones? A yes and a no in that order will make a big difference to performance. Also, fitting firmer springs (forget which it is, red or yellow) can help as well.

Yellow is stiffer on the HS2

7378 wrote:
If you go the K&N route don't forget to get some stub stacks - it will help air flow into the carbs

I also second stub stacks with K&N's, here you go for HS2 carbs nice and cheap... :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-Midget-1275-1098-Stub-stacks-for-use-with-K-N-or-any-pancake-air-filter-/190715798272?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c678c2300

Or......really good ones for real money.. :o
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARB-AIR-FILTER-STUB-STACKS-TRIUMPH-MINI-MG-H1-HS2-HS4-HS6-/231232544935?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35d688a0a7

Cold air feed is a good improvement.
I dont know if my experimental agricultural cold air feeds work but they havnt caused any probs so far....    ;)

Over the ends of the tubes pointing towards the filters i have taped some large mesh Stihl Saw air filter foam and drilled some small drain holes in the lower bends to stop any water damage from downpour driving??