PAYEN HEAD GASKET !

johnny spit

@65redspit -Yes i plan on re-torquing it , I'm a little nervous about the rebuild !

I've only just bought the car and don't know everything about it , but every time i check something , its different or modified.  The block is the short crank GE from a herald, and the head is the big valve. On my first outing 2 miles down the road it was steaming and overheating , under the bonnet i could see the head gasket bubbling away at the back end and some coolant leaking from a block core plug !!!!  when i removed the head and was cleaning it up , found a small crack between 3 & 4 chambers  GRRRRRRRR so i have bought a second hand head same numbers big valve , but this engine i have has been honed on the cylinders and as it had shims under the rocker , i'm guessing its got a high lift cam or has been skimmed before , so mmm little unsure how it will play out.

Hi Steve, yes twin SU 

My plan ( or rather anothers with whom has more idea than me ) was to use the original valves, springs pushrods etc with the new head ( 2nd hand) then see if possible to set the clearances, if i couldn't , then fit the shims again under the rocker. Do you think this would be ok ?

Thanks