Spitfire 1500 on "Shed and Buried"

DVD3500

I do find the programs Henry Cole does entertaining. Particularly with Fuzz on board now. Alan Milyard is certainly a handy guy to have around. Junk & Disorderly is another good one.

I wonder what the actual cost was including the full prep and respray. It looked like a nice car from the bonnet back before they had started. 

• Like 1

An absolute shocking display on renovation. They cut a perfect chassis (apart from one `blemish`) to `weld` to the old rusty chassis, leaving a weld seam thickness that would have been out of place on old trawler. They could have just done a body lift and refit. They heat treated the looped bonnet brackets to create better bonnet gaps ,when the adjuster bolts in the bonnet mount would have done the job, lateral and vertical. They kept using the wrong terminology for various bits ...and the only good thing was the respray(that they short changed on by not showing the prep work from doors rearwards) .......and they still didnt stick the bonnet logos on. ......and "Triumph Owners Club"?

• Like 2

...and they left the front bumper on for the respray and didn't bother removing the corner valances to spray them properly off the car. It was a shocking waste of a perfectly good donor chassis.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dannyb said:

I can't see how it was valued  at 10k. After the work.

Agree, crude but functional chassis repair. Quality prep/ paint job though. Fact that it's been restored on tv may push up the price/appeal to somebody. £300+ for a used chassis? Watch the price of them go up on ebay. They will be on there for a very long time. As mentioned above, shame to have butchered a fairy reasonable chassis, thought those sections were available from rimmers etc.

They are not living in the real world, they've got a budget to throw at the project to make an interesting and entertaining programme which I think they did.

Allan Milyard is a one off, top level engineer/fabricator with skills and abilites I could only dream of.

Edited by MarkB
  • Like 2

The thing is, on value, that its really a debatable question. What its worth? What people are prepared to pay? What an insurable value would be? My car, a MK3 has had a total rebuild and respray and has an insurance value of £13k.....but I know if I were to advertise it for sale I would not get that amount. That TV car would probably have an insurable value of around £9k at best as 1500 `s are more readily available than MK3 and from what could be seen ,on a rusty chassis. At the end of the day its really down to what people are prepared to pay Vs what an owner would let it go for. 

To be fair I have only watched maybe twenty or so "Bangers and Cash" episodes but I never ever saw a car sell for the price they thought it would.

"Flipping Bangers" also almost never got the money they wanted (though they did do a few good deals).

I get asked all the time why I get parts for XYZ of your favorite currency when something is "worth" a lot more... Mostly I just wait until I find it for the price I am willing to pay...

On 16/04/2024 at 14:40, Velocita Rosso said:

Watch and realise....one or two mis named items.....one relating to the bonnet/ over rider hanger bracket....strut?

I am an American. According to most of you I am using the wrong terminology most of the time! 😄 

Its a TV show , I watch this show lots, its sits in the background when i am on the PC. I saw this one, entertaining, just to see a spit. I think the bonnet could have been panel beaten, the chassis repair as the easiest given it had been in a bump and the old bit already missing.

Anyway like most triumphs they did what they needed to make it fit , which if we are honest is what they did at the factory if lucky.