My 1st ever Triumph (Mk2 2500Pi)

frenchiemk2

Re: on board GPS.   I was helping in Rally HQ at the Malcolm.Wilson Rally, where for the first time they were using SportTRAXX car monitoring.  This uses on board GPS to locate the cars, and mobile cooms to transmit thatbto HQ.

Ralies are often in hilly country or where mobile coverage isn't good.  The system.was wholly different (and better) than the old ways, but it was amusing to.see cars stop and then move at light speed to the next area where the system could catch up with their progress.

John

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well, it will look much like this 

It's only 1L swirlpot but i wish enough for long curves left with nearly empty tank.

- Short of 8mm fuel hose to connect as i want

- low pressure pump will be attached or on silentblocs

- and this pre filter wont last long, searching an aluminium larger prefilter, but interstingly, there's air inside... that's an issue...

- at the very least, i'll try to adapt the PI wood floor if i can.

trunk luc.jpg

My Pi fuel 2.png

Edited by frenchiemk2
wrong add file

3 hours ago, frenchiemk2 said:

Before i put a 12v sensor and 10 bar pressure gauge, reusing the former gauge. (Indicates around 7bar as oscillating btw 6-8. I wish i could have a better stabilized reading)

Link to T union provider in France

20240319_164737.jpg

frenchie

the pressure does oscillate.  I made a pressure gauge from a spare oil pressure gauge, and it oscillated so much it oscillated the needle off the stem!   You need a damper.  The best gauges are oil filled to do this, but I did it by inserting in the connector a copper disc with a tiny hole in the middle of it.     I drilled from both sides until I could JUST see a tiny chink of light though the hole.

John 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, JohnD said:

frenchie

the pressure does oscillate.  I made a pressure gauge from a spare oil pressure gauge, and it oscillated so much it oscillated the needle off the stem!   You need a damper.  The best gauges are oil filled to do this, but I did it by inserting in the connector a copper disc with a tiny hole in the middle of it.     I drilled from both sides until I could JUST see a tiny chink of light though the hole.

John 

True, oil filled ones are easier to read.

I asked myself about digital ones. Some have an outer bars for 1st reading and a digital number as 2nd reading. Maybe it's an average pressure i don't know.

This one is cheap re-use. Oscillating only in between 1 bar... so not the worst.

The oil filled ones i know are bigger and may not fit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/01/2024 at 20:01, frenchiemk2 said:

Well... end of year was deceiving.

I went to a small garage nearby in which i know the owner for long to make oil changes on box and rear train + front engine mounts..

On the way to the garage, in a roundabout (we take them turn left here ) the car started to rattle a bit. At the garage we could do the job but the car seemed to turn on 5 cyl or whatever wrong.

At a moment we did not have any ignition because the ignitor disengaged from the insert (just like it's notenough engaged in) and that clamp seemed  faulty and sure the bolt thread was defective, that made the ignitor rotate... even with a new bolt it's not tightened enough. Did anyone enconutered this before? 

A mistake by G was to touch the settings i did on the throttles 😕 

I could reach back home but the engine ran worst eventhough i could help myself out by the side of the road.

I thought it could be air or particles in the fuel system or valves setting gone wrong.

Friday and saturday i have redone the fuel pump and filter Bosch in the trunk, checked all the injectors and they spray fine, checked valve adjustment again, just minor settings... at one moment i could set idle and get to 4500 RPM and then it failed again.

What the hell is wrong...

On the try to set the throttle back to an operant setting i noticed that 1st and 3rd throttle have a slight depression difference 1st inlet has more depression than the second and 5th has more than 6th (seems well balanced on 3rd-4th). As you imagine, i know no one in France able to check those or have them redone and in GB, takes veryyyy long + VAT and customs fees. 

20240107_142029.jpg

Problem unsolved since : engine hiccups /idling/misfiring like

For the record, the car ran great till i made a left turn at a roundabout... So it hapened all of a sudden. it's like you run on 3 cylinders on a 4 cylindres car.

Can't get reving but the engine starts fine and idle till i don't accelerate. then running bad and can't reach 4000 rpm (depends on the advance and air valve ).

What I did or check since :

- new fuelpump 044 (seems to feed 7 bars)

- new spark plugs and gapped : there's spark everywhere.

- new lead cables

- new cap and rotor arm

- new coil (and tested with the older one) and new ballast

- new tested electronic ignition module 

- Advance timing set 8 to 10 before TDC (advance adjuster on distributor works)

- setting valves clearance again

- setting throttles (small differences sometimes on left-right inlets on the same body) but average sounds good

- all injectors spray (maybe i will check the amonut of fuel delivered to compare them)

- M.U renewed and yesterday i cleaned the inlet filter. Rubber seal keeps depression on succion

- new fuel + octane booster additive (in case the 10l fuel in tank was bad )

-The alternator is charging nice (new) but heating a bit.

What i noticed is on cold start during the first 5 seconds the lambda indicates 14 and drops to 17 and no reading value (getting poor)...

I want to ask for a compression tester to check cylinders/head/valves gaps...

Any suggestion of that sudden problem caused by?

• 3 weeks later...