YOU CAN APPLY FOR A CIRT AIR STICKER COST LESS THAN A FIVER . SEE THE HOUNEST JOHN WEB SITE RE CIRT-AIR HAVE TO APPLY IN THE UK ON FRENCH GOVERNMENT WEB SITE SEE LISY OF ULED ZONES

• Aix-Marseille-Provence region
  • Bordeaux (coming in 2024)
  • Clermont-Ferrand
  • Grenoble
  • Lyon
  • Marseille
  • Montpellier
  • Paris
  • Reims
  • Rouen
  • Strasbourg
  • Toulouse

There are a number of opinions on this!

"However, classic cars, which are by definition at least 30 years old, are exempt because they only represent around 0.5% of the vehicles circulating in French cities, and are normally only used occasionally, meaning that they do not make a significant contribution to overall road emissions."   https://www.connexionfrance.com/practical/how-do-i-get-a-french-critair-sticker-for-foreign-classic-car/218453#:~:text=However%2C classic cars%2C which are,contribution to overall road emissions.

To, "Not all vehicles are eligible for the vignettes. Cars registered before January 1997 and motorbikes and scooters registered before June 2000 are ineligible, and cannot be driven at all where restrictions apply"  RAC : https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/law-change-for-uk-drivers-in-french-cities/

John

Ok, guys once again this subject. A classic car by French rules is at least 30 years old and is registered as 'voiture de collection' so has a CGC registration document not a CGN. Carte Grise (registration paperwork) Collection / Normale. At present all the low emmision zones have agreed to exclude CGC's from the rules. This means I could take my 1968 Herald through them but, legally, a 1968 Herald on normal paperwork could be fined.

I really, really, really don't see any problems for you foreigners in 'classic' cars.

Are you sure you will in fact be going in/through any of the zones?

If my memory is correct I think the Rouen are has but on hold its zone simply because locals with old cars can't legally leave home within the zoneand exit the zone to work in a non low emmission area or those living outside can't drive into it to go to work.

Rouen is in my region so we get news on the telly, as for other areas - no idea if any are on hold due to the same problem.

As  for a CRIT air sticker they are only legally available from the official site, no private organisation can sell you one.

Just come over and enjoy yourselves BUT don't run over a gendarme's toes or you will have problems . . . 

• Like 2

It seeems the delay in extending the ban on old cars applies to those with a Crit'air rating of '3' which were to be banned now. Classes '4' & '5' plus non classed are already banned.

The bits of interest for you are these:

https://zfe.metropole-rouen-normandie.fr/quel-vehicule-quand-et-ou/faut-il-une-vignette-si-je-suis-un-touriste-etranger

https://zfe.metropole-rouen-normandie.fr/derogations/zfe-m-et-vehicules-de-collection

Bonne route!

• Like 1

Hi Rosbif, I have read your posts with interest & my conclusions are:-

1. Technically our classic cars don't meet the exclusion requirements for voiture de collection.
  2. In practice its unlikely that we will encounter any issues (unless we seriously upset a local member of the gandarmerie!)

I will not deliberately drive through environmental zones, but am reasonably relaxed that should I enter one by accident, there is unlikely to be a problem.

Cheers

H

• Like 1

In reverse order:

2. Spot on

1. Your cars might meet the requirements of Collection but you don't have a recognised classification, other than being exept from an MOT, so nothing official that might cover it here.

Just go for it, have fun and watch out for the various speed limits.

Merci beaucoup, Rosbif!

Before I went to Le Man's last year, I got a CRIT'Aire sticker from the official.site for my 2002 race truck, the TRansit.  Very easy!

But probably irrelevant for a true classic.

John

17152702359672485849639191892327.jpg

33 minutes ago, Chris Gleeson said:

My understanding having just obtained a CRIT’Air for my modern car is that any vehicle built before 1997 cannot get a CRIT’Air as a consequence cannot travel through a low emission zone, am I wrong?

Yes, you're wrong.

As said in earlier posts cars registered as 'Collection' are exempt from the controls. There is no Crit'air sticker for this category of car yet but they can travel though them

30 minutes ago, Chris Gleeson said:

My understanding having just obtained a CRIT’Air for my modern car is that any vehicle built before 1997 cannot get a CRIT’Air as a consequence cannot travel through a low emission zone, am I wrong?

My understanding is that youare correct! (unless it is a french registered historic vehicle)

In the case of Rouen, look at the vehicles that are 'exempt' - 'Classic' cars are exempt. So, the only issue is whether a UK registered 'Historic Vehicle' is recognised in Rouen (or anywhere else in France...Europe) as their exempt 'Classic'. Because nothing is completely clear, it does leave us in limbo. You'd have thought our govts would have sorted this out by now. Anyway, I'm with Rosbif on this. 

To reiterate my findings which included FBHVC... NO British Registered "Historic" classified vehicle is allowed in ANY European ULEZ. They are policed in different ways, so if not camera controlled, you may get away with it.

Each country, like the UK has classic / historic exempt for their own registered vehicles, but not for other countries - it's exactly the same for a foreign registered historic vehicle visiting the UK, they would have to pay a fee (as per our rules). The unfortunate thing is most foreign countries just have a straight ban of non-compliant vehicles.

Bottom line - stay out of foreign ULEZs.

Just don't go into cities.   La Belle France has more than enough beauty and interest outside of them.  Last year, I drove over 2000 miles around France, visiting Rouen (Les Essarts), Rheims (gueux), Le Mans (CLM), Angouleme (Remparts) and Clermont-Ferrand (Charade) without a single encounter with Les Flics, then or since.

John

Do older or classic cars need a Crit’Air sticker?

No, but this is because cars registered before January 1997 and motorbikes or scooters registered before June 2000 are not allowed to enter the zones where restrictions apply.

the above text is from the Honest John website, so not sure it applies to any triumph as 99.9% will have been registered pre 1997.