Distributor pedestal gasket

mazfg

Just been reading up about re-fitting a distributor and note about the pedestal gasket....I see that paddocks do 2 pedestal gaskets  0.006" and a 0.020"....can someone explain what's required. Having taken off my distributor, I found there was no gasket?

Gaskets are used more as shims as the pedestal position determines the end-float for the distributor drive gear.  If there was no gasket in there before (have a gentle scrape to make sure - they can be quite hard to spot) then you don't need one now - just a thin smear of silicone or Hylomar to seal.

Nick

Thanks Nick for that...will double check the distributor pedestal mount tomorrow....Haynes says endfloat should be between 0.003 & 0.007"....so guessig the 0.006 gasket would be the option, if I needed it.  Getting a new camshaft so may need re-investigating ??

Mmm, I a bit baffled now.....having taken off and recorded the position with photos of the distributor with no.1 cylinder at TDC compression/ firing stroke...the rotor arm was pointing to no.6 cylinder... It's liek it was 180deg out.......now the car was running before....(did lack power) but I would have thought that 180 deg out would give nothing?

has no bearing on running IF the leads have been transposed in the cap ,  and if the drive dog is a bit worn its been known to misfit the offset

the set up in the manual for the drive gear indexing  is as much to do with getting the vac unit to not foul up and have no room to rotate the body for setting the timing.

Easter is comming put a OE reprint ( or jumble) workshop manual, on a wish list .... or  
  we sell heritage CDroms in TSSC shop which has all owner/parts lists/workshop manuals for all herald and vitesse  for a few �s all  in one disk

Pete

The leads haven't been transposed. They all go to the correct places, it's just the rotor arm is set for fireing when I'm TDC on no.1 compression/ firing stroke. All I can think of is, could the camshaft be 180degrees out, therefore no.6 cylinder is on compression/ firing stroke at TDC? As far as i could see, the cam sprocket matches the markings on the camshaft...

junkuser wrote:
Sorry for my misinterpretation.
Whilst the drive dog on the distributor is eccentric, there was a posting some years back, where someone had managed to get the distributor to fit 180 out.
Don't know how that could be done. Maybe very worn components.

You can rotate spindle 180 degs and put housing back as it should....just means instead of no.1 the rotor arm points to its no.6 instead...ad in mine.