MOT tomorrow.. all new brakes.. need wearing in?

go the long way round before the mot and do a few 'bedding in' stops.

as long as your brake retardation is fairly equal between axle sides and within the specified level you should be ok.
mention to the tester that you have just renewed the brakes and he may be a bit more sympathetic :)

i had the same problem when mine went after rebuilding it, i mentioned it had just been rebuilt, new calipers and pads/shoes all round which te tester could see so although they werent great he did pass them, a few miles of driving and they were fine.

Brakes aren't expected to be better now than when the car was built.

May have problems with the handbrake efficiency though  - I have done in the past after fitting new shoes and not getting the chance to bed them in.  Definitely worth mentioning that linings are new to the MoT man as it does make a difference.

Nick

Our trick with our buses, before we have to go over the test rollers is to drive down the road with foot pushing lightly on the brake pedal at about 50 kph for about 1km. Just to warm things up a bit. Definately helps with brake balance.Tony.

Probably a bit late to answer now but drum brakes definitely needs some running in but that is not so important for disc brakes.

A couple of years ago I rebuilt the drum brakes on my old Zetor tractor. Had no brakes at all before driving 3-400 meters in third gear with wide open throttle and brakes applied. Smoke pouring out of the drums but they were brilliant after this trip :-)