Jaguar fuel tank changeover switch BULB

lordleonusa

OK, as many of you know, I have twin tanks in my Vitesse and twin Facet Electric pumps. On the dashboard, I have a Jaguar XJ6-II fuel-tank changeover switch, which selects the relevant pump/sender unit, one side shows a green arrow, the other side shows a red arrow, both illuminated, rather poorly, by a bulb.

I want to get rid of that crappy dim incandescent bulb and replace it with a brighter, cooler, LED lamp.

Does anyone know the designation of the bulb in question please?

Thanks in Advance

Determined to tax the minds of the great and good on this forum  ;D

L?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for that link gilesdive, I am at work now, but will endeavour to pull my bulb out tonight, naturally it is in a fairly inaccesible position, at the top/centre of my dash.

Meanwhile, I have found a small amount of information about it on the web.

The switch in question was fitted to the Jaguar XJ6 from 1980-1987, it is Jaguar part # DAC1356, and is expensive!

The bulb inside that switch, which is the one I want to replace is Jaguar part # JLM9593.

I have not yet found any further information about it, such as designation, wattage or sizes.

Looks like they're cheap enough from Jaguar sources if you can't find a generic match

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10051&categoryId=22880&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=22876&top_category=22876

http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=a-2817&maxhits=500&category=xj6&subcat=electrical&keywords=%22electrical%22

OK, the Ba7S problem is solved.

There are very few pesky incandescent bulbs left on my Vitesse, but recently coming back from my annual 600 mile round trip to Portland, one of my rear number plate bulbs fell out of it's holder!

I put it back and it still works, although it is a bit loose. Therefore, rather than "spoiling the ship, fer a ha'porth o'tar", I feel that perhaps while I am ordering all these other LED bulbs, I should also replace those two bulbs.

They are refrred to as Lilyfart, sorry Unipart, GLB233...12 volts, 4 watts.

I see that they are common to the US TR6 front marker repeater lamps, and are also used on the Mini Clubman as indicator bulbs...and no doubt varicous other LBCs.

Question is, does anyone know if these are perhaps Ba9s ?

Regards

Léon

And another question is, once all my incandescence is banished to LED heaven, will that make me one of the illuminati?

OK, I have just completed my somewhat awkward physical survey of all the small incandescent light bulbs in my Vitesse.

1. Hazard Warning Light Switch, (retro-fit), tiny bulb with elongated bayonets, labelled 12829 Philips, 12V, 2W, Imp M BO.

Looks to me to be a Ba7S (that's 7mm o.d, single filament).

L

And the second bulb, this one from the instruments, also behind each of the coloured 'jewels' in the speedometer, and not to forget the green indicator warning lamp...so in my car, that's a total of 9 bulbs.

These are the 'mes' type, screw fit and also known as '987' or Unipart GLB987.

The markings on the bulbs I examined are:

G112, ?W Eng, 12V 2.2W Eng. (the silver coloured one)

and

Osram 12V, 2.2W Eng. (the gold coloured one)

L

And finally, the interior under-dash courtesy light, (which has stopped working!), described as a 'festoon' bulb over here, the Unipart GLB239 is marked as follows:

Unipart GLB239, 12V, 5W, C11, 37R(E1)0035D, and it's (Unipart) package is marked SV8.5-8.

I have measured it and it is 36mm long overall, the base is 8mm wide and the glass capsule is 9mm wide and 19mm long.

I hope all of this information is of some use to someone on this board, should they decide to upgrade to LEDs from incandescents.

Léon  

OK, I have just ordered all the replacement LEDs from my supplier.

The only ones they don't list are the 987 instrument bulb replacements, so I will order those from an alternate supplier in the UK.

I intend to update this thread as things develop.

I should be able to post photos of the LED replacements, hopefully with before & after comparison photos.

L

• 2 weeks later...

My package of LEDs from my supplier here has just reached me, but I am still awaiting the type 987 LEDs from the UK.

I hope they sent it airmail, especially after charging 9 quid postage!

Usually, packages take about 6 days from the UK.

Anyhow, I will take some photos of the LEDs tonight, (my tonight), when I get home from work, and some before and after photos to see if there is any noticeable improvement/change.

Later

Leon

Bah, you modern young riceboys with your fascination with high-tech LED's!

I love my incandescent lamps.  That slightly amber tungsten glow makes it all look Just Right.

A bunch of theatre restorations have replaced the tungsten chasers/scintillators bulbs in their marquee & blade signs with modern LED's, & the cold light over the sidewalk & in the night sky just isn't the mighty homelike funball that the incandescents make of a facade.

The permanent burn tissue from the little ignition key light is a small price to pay for that excellent "the front porch light is on at home" look!

Sokay rotoflex, I will be keeping the originals in case I change my mind, besides this is all just fascination/experimentation, nothing more, nothing less.

I do think that the red Luxeon LEDs that have replaced my tail/stop lights are the best of the bunch though. Because they do at least look like originals apart from the fact that they come on faster and are waaay brighter than the originals, so all those moronic SUV & truck driver's can see my little car from much further back.

Meanwhile, here come some results of my experiments:

The good, the bad and the ugly, not in that order...

First we will look at the rear license/number plate illumination.

Before Photo shows the original incandescent bulb:

Archived