nang

I'm sick of trying to get my o/d fixed over here. I know it won't be cheap but is there anywhere that I can get a good or recon J type overdrive from UK.
Everyone seems to want an exchange unit, Fair enough, I can see why, but the cost of sending my old one over would make the whole exercise impossible.
Triumph 2500.
Thanks.
Tony.

Tony,

A man of your talents shouldn't have any major problems sorting it at home.  They are not complex.  Some tooling investment (gauges & adaptors) might be needed but small beer compared to shipping costs.  Possibly you might still need to buy parts from the UK (relined clutches etc) but relatively small and light.

A type or J type?  Buckeye Triumphs have great write-ups on both
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/technical.htm

Cheers

Nick

I'm going to have to go inside...It's not electrical as most of my previous prpbs have been.
This afternoon I ran a live  feed through a switch to the solenoid. Could hear the solenoid going click but nothing else happened on the road.
I've had the 3 plugs under the sump out and replaced most things. An "expert" has already been through the gearbox and o/d. Gearbox is fine, just the bloody overdrive.
Can I get it off the o/d off the 'box in place, and more importantly get it back? It's a J type.
Thanks
Tony.

ive found many operational problems are due to the solenoid internal shuttle is stuck
unscrew the solenoid with a , 1" af thin spanner dont turn it by the body,
remove and lookin the end there is a small 10mm circlip, pop this out and shake out the  shuttle /spool valve inside this must be a easy slide/ loose rattles when shaken . if its stiff it wont work .
a clean and maybe new 0 rings on the shuttle and the body .
if you have a battery( these dont need mega amps ) you can fire the solenoid and see if the inside bit actually moves  worth a quick look.

Pete

I think you probably could get the OD off the box without removing the box from the car.  You might even get it back on again (lining both sets of spline up is always a royal pain).  However, you'd probably find the the rest of the gear box very handy for test purposes - you can spin the gearbox up with a decent electric drill (my 500W Bosch just managed it)  to test the OD, measure pressures etc.

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

Just had the  J type  OD off my gearbox and it pop on /off easy
there is a plug or nipple to pressurise the clutch pump but ive not needed to
Its located next to the filter cover
the j type has a self aligning pump 'big end' so positioning the cam low  is not needed

if alignment on refit is blocked , just pry the two piston bars with a couple of screwdrivers and this opens the clutch  just remove them when it drops on.

pete