Overdrive conversions, and problems thereafter

thescrapman

OD box went in weds evening / night.

Now bolting it all back up and a few snags have been hit.

Went to bolt the exhaust to the hanger on teh side of teh new gearbox, ah, that will  be the one that isn't there. The gearbox is a sallon one with a TR OD on the end I think. Then discovered the one off teh non-Od box bolts where the OD now resides, so that is a no-go. So what do I need?? and where does it bolt? The bracket is essential as it is needed to get the exhaust aligned right past the crossmember.

2nd problem, speedo cable, it is different.

Is the cable from any other triumph the same?? I need a screw end on both ends it seems.

Finally, is the skid plate under the OD essential??

Cheers

Colin

thescrapman wrote:
OD box went in weds evening / night.

Now bolting it all back up and a few snags have been hit.

Went to bolt the exhaust to the hanger on teh side of teh new gearbox, ah, that will  be the one that isn't there. The gearbox is a sallon one with a TR OD on the end I think. Then discovered the one off teh non-Od box bolts where the OD now resides, so that is a no-go. So what do I need?? and where does it bolt? The bracket is essential as it is needed to get the exhaust aligned right past the crossmember.

2nd problem, speedo cable, it is different.

Is the cable from any other triumph the same?? I need a screw end on both ends it seems.

Finally, is the skid plate under the OD essential??

IIR Bracket hangs off the O/D adapter to gearbox face:- sort of droopy triangle with a 90 bend (and strengthener), you should be able to knock something up out of sheet steel.

If it's an A' Type, you need the 90 degree angle drive (not cheap!), same as Spitfire/GT6. (Be warned the Automatic 2000/2.5 angle drive is different to the O/D one!)

Skid-plate is desirable.

sparky_spit wrote:
Colin - you can use the cable out of my Mk3 (J type OD and angle-drive) if you need one in a hurry. It's the same cable that was in there before I put the OD box in; it was just long enough. My Mk3's not going anywhere in the next few months.

Mike

Spitfire one maybe a bit short for a Big Saloon?

Archived