Temperamental overdrive

Fordski

No doubt a hardy perennial but the overdrive is playing up! Runs fine initially but after a while tends to drop out of 4th, and there is also a stranger 'fluttering' or clicking sound when it is engaged in 4th once speed increases to 50mph +. I think it is something to do with the OD as it doesn't make this noise when its not engaged. I guess it is something to do with the solenoid and whilst I'm getting it checked out on Monday any thoughts welcome.

I report back anyway hopefully when it is fixed.

Fordski  

firstly do you know what model overdrive is fitted,
D type solenoid on drivers side
J type passenger side

most common is the D type,
with any OD always check the gearbox oil level is up to the level filler ( plug on o/s front of gearbox.)  the oil is common to both chambers

aged broken wiring due to heat is common, especially around the inhibitor switch on the top of the gearbox.
If its a D type , remove the os side cover and energise the solenoid, inside the cover is a short lever , pulled by the solenoid, in this lever is a 3mm hole, use a drill as a gauge it should pull the lever till the hole aligns with a drilling in the case behind the lever,  if this is incorrect you can carefully adjust the solenoid rod nut to get things inline,

if it was wired up though a hollow gear stick to a gear knob integral swicth , this suffers from wire degradation and thats where to start, yours does have that problem being column mounted .

if you have an ammeter handy the D type pulls around 10amps as an initial pull, once the solenoid has pulled in there is a sealed switch in the end of the solenoid which cuts the current to a holding 0.5amps..    hence any poor connections can hamper the  few second burst of 10amp pull in

Pete

Mine used to do that, I have the D-type. The sprung pin on the switch bolted to the side of the gearbox was really worn. so much so that if I kept pressure on the lever with my knee it was fine, move the pressure off and it was click click click. A new switch for less than a tenner and about 20 mins work fixed it.