Volvo overdrive compatibility?

Greeks

Greeks wrote:

Dave ... surely the point of having all that stock is to sell it?

Because we have been converting them into Triumph ones!
A few years ago one of the old boys that used to bring us old core (twin wheel transit pick up full every couple of months, those were the days!) mentioned that he had just cleared out some new overdrives from GKN Minworth, and was I interested. He had bought along one of them in it's packing crate for me to have a gander at. It turns out to be a Volvo J type. I ask him how many he has, oh he say's the 7 1/2 tonner back at the yard is stacked high with them! Ho didn't know how many that equated to because he had bought them for their aluminium scrap value only. At the time we were sitting on enough overdrive units (I thought) to see us through and scrappy was only prepared to sell the lot in one drop. I mused it over for a couple of days and then did a deal with Earnie Garbut at OD spares to take some of the pile if I took them off the scrappy (it wasn't the cost of the things that worried me, it was the volume). I then rang the scrappy back to get them here, but in the meantime he had needed the lorry for something else so the overdrives had gone into the pot still in their wooden packing crates! Those were the days.  

Archived