thebrookster

Any recommendations??

I have got the bit about GL4 spec, and scouring of this forum and Triumph Register seems to suggest 75W90 is a good option over the original spec'd EP90W.

However when I did a quick check of Ebay and Amazon for oil I found lots of oil that claimed to be GL4 and GL5 together. I presume this is no good? Or is it?

Basically, what are people using, and any suggestions for sourcing? Motor Factors etc that require in person visits are no use to me just now, I have a very busy vacation ahead of me for the next 6 weeks so online is preferred.

Cheers,

Phil

75/90 GL4 will be fine.  However, most GL5 oils now claim to be "yellow metal" compatible.

Another possibility is to use Redline MT90 which is claimed to improve synchro action and in my experience actually does too - improved the change on my PI and also on the Toyota box in the Vitesse.  Not especially cheap though.

You can get it from Opie Oils.  They've a pretty wide selection of other stuff too
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/search/go?w=MT90

Nick

I'm currently running Gulf in my diff, Mazda gearbox and the vans gearbox (both also requires GL4). Not been in there long enough to report back properly, but it's shown no negatives yet.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60148-gulf-gear-ep-heavy-duty-gearbox-oil-80w-90.aspx

If a GL5 says it's safe with yellow then it will be. If it doesn't then assume it isn't.

Quoted from TedTaylor
MT90 sounds interesting Nick.  How is it with overdrives?

MUT

Seemed to be fine with the A-type in my former PI, though I probably only did 8 or 9k miles with it, the current owner has done at least another 10k (news is out of date now) and it's still working fine.

Nick

Never tried it personally, but a previous bus co. I worked for ran ATF in their long distance Mercedes coaches with manual gearboxes. Did literally millions of Km's without any problems. Don't know if this would be applicable to cars.
Tony.

for quite a while I ran ATF in the od box
but it did seem to mek moer noise,
and the OD took a few extra secs to come in when hot
at least 4 secs,  EP 90 instant when hot, aboot 2secs when cold

this extra time was  my biggest concern, as longer it teks to come in, moer clutch slip , when yer hoofs to floor,
and actually had to change at 4K,
as by time it come in, was well up to, and some times past  red line,
so went back to EP 90 all is fine noo

Ohh 90/140 stuff int diff,

M

Quoted from thebrookster
Well, I have bought (and received, excellent service from Opie Oils I have to say!!!) some Redline MT90 as per Nick's suggestion.

Once I get it in I shall be sure to report back!

Cheers,

Phil

Hope it meets or exceeds you expectations 🙂

Opie are good.  I usually call in in person when I'm down that way and wave my various club membership cards for extra discount.

Nick