Gearbox oil seal

GT6boy

With apologies to Spitbang(who diagnosed this back in April( :B), when we dashed out to the STAB), the front gearbox oil seal has REALLY given up the ghost now.
400 odd miles to Duxford and back finally did for it. What was a little oil patch after the RR, was down 2/3 litre on arrival at Duxford(oops). Quick top up there for the journey home, but by the time I came off the motrway at Bath, the box was very hot and gear changes were made very gently(stiff box).
Not helped by a bit of 'high speed motoring' on the M11 with another 6 cylinder Spit....

Are there any top tips on how to fit the seal, so as to avoid having to do this?
Also, are there any usual suspects regarding likely cause for the seal to go after 5000 miles?

Bruce,

It may not be the seal itself.  While you are in there make sure you seal the release bearing spigot into the bell housing (otherwise it leaks through the joint between this and the bell housing) and also that the little locating pin is still there.  If missing there is a leak path through which is not immediately obvious.  And you know about the copper washer on the bottom bell housing bolt......  T'was oil leaks in this are that drove me to Toyota - and that still leaks a bit 'cause I forget to thread seal some bolts!

Also, if the spigot bearing in the back of the crank or the input shaft bearing are shagged there is too much radial play for the seal to cope with.  Always worth checking the breathers are clear too.

Cheers

Nick

PS. hope the gearbox has survived........

Archived