GT6 gearbox change/advice

Piero franchi

Hi All

I have a GT6 mk1 with overdrive gearbox, I was considering fitting a stronger gearbox with out overdrive, and then fitting a diff from a 1500 to make up the gearing.

would this work and what gearbox,es are a easy fit and stronger.

wont be about for a day or so, but please keep posting your surgestions.

many thanks

Also ruinning a T9 in my GT6 Mk111 with a 3:63 diff.

If you want to stay with 4 speeds then a higher geared diff will mean sluggish accelleration, although the 1500's 3:63 is a good compromise.

I changed because i wanted a stronger box and I got it with the type 9. Have a look on Andre's website, he has all the information you need. You can do it on the cheap by buying the adaptor plate, spigot bush and clutch from Frontline. You might be able to adapt your overdrive mounting plate as it lines up...sort of. Unless the T9 gear lever extension isn't reduced you will have to move the hand-brake back. Andre has plenty of photos on his site but PM me if you want some more.

The diff really depends on what you use or want the car for and the size of the wheels and tyre profile you are using.

You have to do some maths as to mph per 1000 rpm, remembering that the figures floating are basted on 165/13" tyre's what ever where standard to the car not low profile 70's what ever

Yeah the 5 speed changed my GT6, if I ever have a chance to swap the diff to a 389 or something my cruising RPMs would drop by some 500RPM, still at 60MPH the car is going between 3000-3500 which is not bad.

Your in the power band and can accelerate at will.

One thing I will say is I am very happy I went with the shorter/mod shifter as show above in Don's message.
Other wise my arm would be behind my seat when I'd go to shift, as it is now, PERFECT.

The info...

http://www.gt6.ca/5speed/index.html

Install is much like doing a OD install into a no-od car, but there a few points which I highlighted during my install.

A.

TR6?

The reason I also opted for the conversion was OD kits are getting hard to come by!

http://www.canleyclassics.com/welcome.asp?selectedtab=productupdate&article=stock.xml
-Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

So since a Tri 4 spd with OD was the same price as the 5 spd, it was a no brainer.

A.

Yep, lots of noise, smoke and wheel lock... ;)

But as I've said before I think the farmer I fly was more scared.

I will say this, I got very lucky. I was able to keep the car under control, got out of gear right away because with the bell housing cracked I lost my clutch slave, never found the pin.

Also lucky no fluids poured onto the wheels, it would have been game over.

A.

Archived