Second hand gearbox for a GT6

TonyCo

Hi everybody,

I'm still scratching my head as I still don't know what should I do for my GT6 gearbox. As you'll remember, at my last draining, I found the synchro balls from the 4th gear in the oil and I can't make a gear change from 3rd to 4th without crunching and I must do a double de-clutch for all the other gears if I want them to pass freely. Also, the clutch is new (plate, bearing, disc and hydraulics). So i think it's time for a gearbox change. As I'm also bored with the fact that I'm cruising at 60mph for 3.000 rpm (I drive 200 miles every week), I was thinking of taking the plunge for an overdrive conversion while the gearbox was out. Do you think it's a suicide mission to consider a second hand unit (complete conversion sets on Ebay for 400 GBP) and troubles ahead like only 500 miles safe before dismantling it again ? A complete set from Jigsaw, new would set me back 1.680 GBP considering the fact that I won't have these units on an exchange basis (it would cost me more to ship them to UK than the money I'd get back from the surcharge). I've already spent not far from 4.500 GBP worth of parts, without touching the bodywork, engine, axle, gearbox or interior (except the carpets) doing everything myself. So what are your thoughts there ?

Cheers

Tony

P.S: any of you going the Le Mans next week-end, maybe we could meet somewhere for those who will be already there on Friday ?

Hmm, shame as I have a gearbox I could bring over, but I need to get it checked. Plus it doesn't have a propshaft.....

I got fed up with fitting used gearboxes as it can be a bit hit and miss, plus I know a chap who is good and reasonable. I also know a chap who is in France and sometimes spends a lot of time in the UK. He owns a GT6.....and in Normandy or Brittany from memory.
I may be able to put you in contact....

if it were me I would take the plunge and fit a saloon/tr box.

ok you will have to do some mods like gearbox cover extending,making a new rear g/box mount.cobbling up the clutch actuation and hydraulics,and prop shaft.but once done if the box is good it should last way longer than a repro gt box.plus most will have an O/D attached.

down sides apart from above are extra weight and ratios are not always desirable and the gear change can be a bit more clunky.
for the price of a new box like you mention there is the possibility of modifying a sprint box to fit which has ratios not far off the gt6 box. :)