gearbox on the way out?

brucy

on the way home tonight i've noticed that the gearbox has started to crunch when going into 3rd (up and down).

Is it new box time? all other gear changes seem fine and the reservoir is full so i'm inclined to think that i need a new one  :-/

Any ideas?

Andy

Rebuilding a gearbox isn't too bad a job but I had to do mine twice as I made the mistake of fitting new synchro rings, DON'T they're useless. Fit either NOS or good ones from another box, the 4th gear one gets the least wear. Also replace the 3 springs in the synchro hubs, some of mine were broken.

It would have been less hassle to get an exchange!

ps mine was a single rail but I think the same things apply?

Losing so many synchros is thought-provoking.  
They're gone now, but the important thing to remember is that GL4-spec gear oil should be used in the transmission, not the more commonly-available GL5.  Anybody who's unsure of what's in there should drain the tranny & put in the right stuff.  GL5 is not friendly to chewy yellow-metal synchros.

I have also heard that the replacement synchros these days don't last as well as the original items.  If someone does rebuild a box with modern replacement synchros, it would be a worthwhile (couldn't be worse, might be good) experiment to use a synthetic instead of mineral-based gear oil.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived