Wing finishers/trim - what to attach with?

Ad2408

Hi all

Spitfire has just gone into paint today  :o

To keep the costs down I stripped the car myself, while taking the trims off that run along the top of the rear wings and the horseshoes I noticed that the clips have caused rust

To stop this in the future I am trying to think of other methods of attaching them...

So how have you reattached yours?

Thanks
Adam

Not put mine back on...yet - However, when i took old ones off, the PO had used the standard clips but had also filled the trim with silicon and then fixed into place.

No rust, but perhaps not a solution i would go for, as they were a right bastard to get off..!! (resulting in new wing finishers)

My current plan is to use clips and clear waxoyl....be interesting to hear what others have done / are planning...

Use Tiger seal at certain points,but fill the trip cavity with wax oil/grease, then a thin layer of silicon sealant to infill the body to trim gap
On the MK3 Spit we used fine/small pop rivets on the inside(so cannot be seen without staring) after filling the trim cavity with grease. Been on years now without any sign of deterioration

Thanks for the suggestions, was thinking silicon but wondered if this would be a paint to remove....

Also a strange question, my 1971 MKIV has chrome trim for the horseshoes and boot trims but black trims along the top of the rear wings, is this correct?

I've always had a problem with mine, even with new clips they tend to start to pop off at the front on a long journey. A quick push back on sorts it until the next time. I'd be reluctant to put any waxoil or similar oilly substance there as it would lubricate and make the popping off even worse.

Alex wrote:
I'd be reluctant to put silicone on mine in case I had to do any paint work in the future.

http://www.screwfix.com/product/jsp/zoom_popup.jsp?sku=75756&desc=UniBond%20Silicone%20Sealant%20Remover%20300ml&docRoot=http://s7g3.scene7.com/is/image/&viewerRoot=http://s7g3.scene7.com/is-viewers-4.1/&company=ae235

Sikaflex or similar could be used, but I used standard clips and a squirt of wax protection.

As to teh strips, I think it may be correct. I say think, I had a selection of parts, and in the end chose all black (it is a yellow car and works well as a contrast) but there is definately a mix and match look on some years (mine is a very early mkIV spit)

7709 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions, was thinking silicon but wondered if this would be a paint to remove....

Also a strange question, my 1971 MKIV has chrome trim for the horseshoes and boot trims but black trims along the top of the rear wings, is this correct?