Differential is shot.

bennygoodman

I was about to put my body back on the chassis today and while cleaning things up I leaned on the prop shaft and it turned round without the wheels moving causing me to fall over.
So I jacked the back end up and turned the road wheel and the opposite one stayed still, not good I thought.
So while it was easily accessible I whipped the diff off and had a look and the result is not good.

The pinion wheel I think it is called has gone, there was no oil at all in the diff just the metal from the wheel that has been chewed up.

So, I need a new diff before i put the tub back on the chassis, my GT6 is a rotaflex, are all diffs the same and before I go buying one has anybody got a good diff knocking around for sale?

Ewww!   :'(

Not all diff's are equal.

What engine & gearbox do you have?

OE GT6;

2 litre overdrive had a 3.89 diff (interchangeable with all Vitesse 2litre MkI & 2 and Spitfire MkIV).
2 litre non-overdrive had a 3.27 diff.

With the higher cruising speed of motorways now a 3.63 from a Spitfire 1500 is a good upgrade. to the 3.89.

and if you have not got overdrive you should consider it now  8)

Caveats.  

Some diffs have 6 studs for the spring mount, some have 4 studs. They can be interchanged although best to stay with the correct number.

Some diffs fitted to oversea's cars had different ratio combinations.

You might want to consider having Mike Papworth, Canleys or Fitchett supplying a recon diff with a new crownwheel and pinion.

Thanks for that info, although the history of the car says it had no overdrive it has overdrive fitted so this must have been added later, it also has the four bolt plate on top, I have managed to source one from Spitfire graveyard and will be calling on them tomorrow.

Wah....!  That must have made a NASTY noise  :o

As already mentioned a 3.63 makes a good compromise between 3.89:1 and 3.27:1 and works very well with a 2L with OD.  It is also reasonably readily available unlike the 3.27:1.  Keep the rear casing from your old one with the 6 bolt holes in case as most 3.63s and and many 3.89s will come with the incorrect 4 bolt casing.

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:
Wah....!  That must have made a NASTY noise  :o

As already mentioned a 3.63 makes a good compromise between 3.89:1 and 3.27:1 and works very well with a 2L with OD.  It is also reasonably readily available unlike the 3.27:1.  Keep the rear casing from your old one with the 6 bolt holes in case as most 3.63s and and many 3.89s will come with the incorrect 4 bolt casing.

Nick

The one that is on the car has a four bolt casing and as I have no previous information of the car I don't know why it is a four bolt and not a six bolt.

4187 wrote:

The one that is on the car has a four bolt casing and as I have no previous information of the car I don't know why it is a four bolt and not a six bolt.

Because a previous owner destroyed the differential originally on the car (or wanted a different ratio), then got the quickest or maybe least expensive) differential he could find.  Even though it should have had 6 holes for the rotoflex rear, it will go in & bolt up using just four.

Differential oddities are not so odd, considering the compatibilities & near-matches between all the Spitfires & GT6's.