Steve P

Could anyone give me an idea how easy it is to rebuild a non roto Vitesse rear hub,mine is making a noise but i`ve read some techy articles that say you need the churchill tool and need to measure backlash of the rollers etc.I am mechanically ok but i don`t have a hub puller.
Any help appreciated.
Steve

Thanks for that,anyone know a supplier that could do it,Southern England preferably but needs must,i have rung Canleys twice but they haven`t returned my calls so i`m minded to go somewhere else.By the way will it mash it if i keep driving it?.
Cheers
Steve

If the halfshaft has noise, it is probably scrap already. Once apart you can inspect it, but ANY wear means it is useless, as the rollers run directly on the shaft. Great design. Just to prepare you.....

Clive

redoxideVit wrote:
By the way will it mash it if i keep driving it?.
Cheers
Steve

If it's making a noise it's probably mashed already.. :(

Seriously, there are two bearings in there;  the outer one is a ball race and if that's making the noise you're probably ok for a bit.  The inner one is a needle roller thing that runs diectly on the shaft and eats it's way through the case hardening on the shaft. Once it's done that the shaft is scrap.  So you could argue that is doesn't matter either way......

I once saw one where the shaft had completely eaten the bearings and was busy working its way through the  bearing housing and making a fair bit of progress.  The owner complaint was about the rear brakes ('cause the drum wasn't even close to central on the backplate anymore) no mention of noise!

Cheers

Nick

redoxideVit wrote:
I`m in Egham

I have the proper hub puller here (Guildford), If you want to come over at a convenient time we can split open your set.

You can then clean, paint, reassemble at your leisure.

I would budget on a new shaft, bearings and Trunnion set.

ps Non-Rotaflex you do not have to worry about the endfloat etc...

Archived