Floor pan - double skin?

Antonnick

I have a rusted area underneath the car (1970 13/30 Cabrio) which when trying to poke a rod into does not go through the floor  to where my feet would be but is blocked by more steel.

I have cut out the rusted area and exposed an inner floor pan. 

Question. Is the original floor pan a double skin or

Has a separate repair panel been welded on the inside of the car in the past?

Thankyou

Antonia

Hi Antonia,

If it was me, I would remove the carpets etc and clean the whole area so as to get a good idea of the previous repair and any further rusting.

Ideally replacement of the floor would be a good idea, but a lot of work.

Roger

This I have done already. The footwell on the inside of the car is in good condition and had only minmal  surface rust on it which was easily brushed off and painted. I can see now where it had been welded at the sides and when it was put in, it was pushed into the existing floorpan and fixed/glued with silicon before welding at the sides. 

The original floor pan was rusting away and had some holes in it. As the whole lot was covered with a thick layer of underbody sealer, I only discovered the rust patches when scraping the sealer away. Now I have now decided to cut the whole original pan out from underneath the car ( did that yesterday) and will reseal the "new" floorpan from underneath as well.

I am happy with that and hopefully the TüV inspector will be as well.

A