My lad fancies doing the event in his MK3 Spitfire, he'll be 17 then and will still be on L plates (probably), is there anything in the rules about not having a learner as a co-driver?
Are there any motorway miles invloved?
Will we have the car finished in time?
Am I being a bit daft to even consider having him as a co-driver?
Is it nearly dinner-time?

Tim

Yes lots of motorway miles, A1M to Scotch Corner, Motorway round Edinburgh, M6 for a long way. Bit of M5. M25 on way back.

probably about 1/3 of the mileage.

I think Katie Foreman did it on L-plates, and possibky Libby Barrett or maybe one of the multitude of Brakes.

Cheers

Colin

best not to pass as other recent threads - bloomin insurance goes up massively upon passing the test then being insured on the Triumph may not be a viable option then.

Good old rip -off Britain again - no other European countries have such extortionate prices for young drivers insurance as far as I know

MikeyB wrote:
Good old rip -off Britain again - no other European countries have such extortionate prices for young drivers insurance as far as I know

No other European countries have the same greed based compensation culture as the UK as far as I know.

Note carefully what Jonathan Kubiak pays in NZ, where there is NO compensation based culture.

Cheers

Colin

Insurance rates for new young drivers is not cheap here.  Boys cost more than girls and cost goes up with newer, high horsepower, and the like.  Most companys who cover only classic cars will NOT insure anyone under 25 alone or on parents policy.  From some of the post's and doing the converson rate most of you pay far less for your children then we do.  Even if you are over 25 and just started driving (no matter what age) you have no history and will pay the same as a teenager.    

michael_charlton wrote:
Nothing against it, however its a long way.
Having a learner co driver just limits things a bit, just think about how you are going to sleep?

Very good point Mike.

If there's only two people in the car and the person with the full licence is asleep, then the learner isn't supervised.  :o

Tim

Best bet would be to team up with another car with 3 people in it, that way the supervising adult can change round as required and good sleep can be got on the back seat of the accompanying car.

When Katie did it I think there was 3 of them in the Herald, so there was a slightly higher chance of the supervisor being conscious.

Cheers

Colin

Yep...we took two cars  ..herald and gt6 and had 5 people between the two cars.....it would be poss to pair up or go in convoy with a few cars and that way always have a spare  person on hand

Haveing done 3 RBRRs, late friday and saturday nights can be rough.  Rain, snow, sleet and dense fog.  Have seen animals on the road also.  One reason I only go with a team of 3.  Add to the fact I am the worst navagator but used to being awake all night.  I normally do all the driving from around 11PM to 8AM, I can sleep all day.  

I would however bu sure your new driver be well versed with the car at night in light to heavy rain.  Even time tested drivers who are not filmilar with a car can make mistakes in rain as happened on friday night last time.  I made a mistake in dry weather and only due to my years of experance did I manage not to loose the car.  I know someone who still talks about that one.  

Archived