I'm up for another one!

JohnD

I've been reading the reports from the 10CR, here and in Other Places, and slowly - no quickly! - getting more and more envious of the enormous fun that you all had.    Jon and I did it years ago, and in his SuperSix, so fatigue was especially serious (open car, no windscreen - full face helmets and motorcyle suits!)   So much so that we gave up and camped for a night in Austria, as we didn't feel fit to carry on, and since then I've been cautious and critical of such endurance events.  But now the 10CR includes these things called "hotels", and people sleep in "beds" at night!   And I missed it!

OK, I'm reconverted.   I've got to do it again!  And with the new (?) less punishing schedule and in a less punishing car, I'll be first in the queue for  2019.    If, as suggested, the Run goes longer and further, I can't, musn't, won't miss it!

John

Quoted from JohnD
  And with the new (?) less punishing schedule

John

Just my opinion,but I found that the schedulewas tough, possibly exascerbated by dropping the overnight drive.  It was nice to factor in a nice meal out and comfy bed every night but even pushing oursleves 2 hours ahead of the pack (including the night before the start), when breakdowns and enjoyable lunch stops were factored in we didn't arrive at the hotels until 2100hrs most nights.  The other sting was that if we had stuck to the early starts as defined in the route book, then we would have left most b&b's before breakfast had been served.  

Don't get me wrong, we had a great drive but route cut was the only way to keep up and I'm sure we missed some good roads.

Mikey,
"Less punishing", not comfy!
I'm sure that 10CR hardmen would crucify me if that was what I wanted!  The event should be challenging driving, that not all can achieve, or it is a mere jaunt.  My concern was that it encouraged driving while unreasonably tired, which could lead to official notice and eventual prohibition.  The organisers have been more sensible of this risk (I apologise!) than I thought.    
As I've said before, I believe this risk still exists for the RBRR, which at "only"  48 hours is defendable as a team event , IF precautions were taken to encourage rest immediately post event.  

In a recent court case, Parking Eye, that manages many Mway service area car parks, got 'one in the eye' when they tried to fine a driver who took a safety snooze, and overstayed their two hour limit.  The driver was a leading QC, who could probably afford the £85 fine easily, but he was so angry at their anti-safety attitude that he countersued them and won including the £2000 costs.  Rest when driving, especially nowadays, is terribly important.
John

We like the freedom of the current 10CR format. In 2015 we stopped overnight when others did the through the night drive and had to cut the route to catch up the next day.
This time we found day 2 really tough - the early start and a really challenging drive coupled with some minor car issues left us and the car exhausted at the end of the day. So we slept in, had a leisurely breakfast, fixed the car and cut the route again. Sure we missed the on-the-road camaraderie that day, but it allowed us to recover a bit and let us do the event in a way that suited us.

A more prescriptive schedule/event would probably preclude us from taking part. With just one driver and other issues that have to be taken care of (diabetics can't skip meals! etc) through the night driving is just not an option for us.

John, glad to hear you are thinking of coming back into the fold 🙂

This year the extra night was added and basically the 2011 10CR was re-designed to fit (best it could) the timing. I also thought the starts were a little early and if the route was not cut the days were long. In the other thread it has been suggested extending using ALL the days i.e. Tuesday to Sunday or even add the Monday and go further east. I am sure the route planners will take all this input on board and who knows we might have a 14CR next time.

AndyF

Maybe there is a "market" for those too.
In previous years, that's what the Aces did on the way to CLM.    Gentle tours of the wonderful French campagne, visiting Rouen and Rheims road circuits, with opportunities to try them out, proper French camp site camping every night (in a nice French summer no need for a hotel), picnic lunches and restaurant evening meals, wine for everyone not driving, take it in turns.  Ah! Ce bon!  
Anyone up for that?
John

Maybe not, but there is a strong contingent who don't want the overnight drives, and I think the vast majority like to have breakfast

The good thing about this year is it was easy enough to cut the route down to whatever people required. So everybody cold do as much as they wished, within reason of course.

If the event went back to 2 overnighters, my co-driver would certainly put her foot down. And that would be the end of the matter!

I'm not up to speed on this year's 10CR route/programme, but with the event spread over several days, A night drive could be included, perhaps with a rest day to follow at some suitable scenic/touristic venue, so people could get some sleep, do the sights, enjoy a meal and hights rest then crack on.   I'd suggest this might be Angouleme, the Circuit des Remparts event which is at the right time of year, scenic city etc. but accomodation wouldl no doubt be expensive as atht event would coincide.

OR, an old time motorpsort venue, best would be one that can be used casuallyrather than by booking the circuit.  Rheims-Geuex is ideal, open public roads, with the original pits and grandstand, but maybe a bit near the Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc3Iu4yHb_w  

The 10CR likes pass storming, how about the GrossGlockner in Austria?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYH0GbOhoN0

Or even the Franfurt-Darmstadt Autobahn (Js 24-25), one of the first motorways/autobahnen that was used in 1937 for speed record atempts.

Just some ideas!
John

Quoted from thescrapman

There is no maybe about it.

Perhaos take the Discovery next time, or the replacement Panzerwagon, much more comfortable and quicker, and think of the fuel savings.

Oh, hold on, that's not the point.

hmmn tempting, not the first time someone has done it in a modern!

And thepoint I suppose is that nothing ever stays the same, it evolves