Newbie Question about STOPS.

Hi, I'm just juggling Google maps, the Garmin software, The Roadbook and AA map to try and accurately mark all the stops in me GPS thingy.

And have now realised that some of the stops are pretty broad in description, i.e "Morez". Presumably this is a town or village and therefore pretty big! Are you lot planning to just turn up, get a recipt or photo as proof and drive on? Or do you think there will be a sort of congregating of triumphs :)

Not having done the 10CR before, but seeing the rigid way that the RBRR route is laid out, I'm wondering how its going to work. I can imagine that we might do most of the route on our own, seeing how spread out the cars got on the RBRR, and that was just in one country!

I'm also aware that unless my co-driver happens to be a good map reader we're going to get terribly lost every few hours as I'm a pants map reader and have no sense of direction whatsoever! So I'd like to have at least the 7 continental stops in the SatNav.
(on that note, if you see a wedgwood GT6, DON'T follow it!)

;D

KevinR wrote:
I think we should disqualify the Club officials from signing the book of the car in which they are a crew member.

Bugger, there goes my plan!

Hutch - in practice you will see collections of Triumphs at the stops if you're on the route. It's one of the weirdest things ever, turning a corner in a remote foreign town at 4 in the morning to find all your mates and their cars stood around chatting!

I think Ellis is doing some POI files for the Sat Nav users, not sure when they'll be ready but soon I suspect :-)

Damn- just spent a couple of hours putting the checkpoints into my Navman -its so old (Pocket PC with Navman Jacket - 4 years old) that I don't think it accepts data uploads.

Last time I used it in Switzerland it took me down a pedestrian precinct in Basle!

doug_foreman wrote:
There's a town somewhere in france that we all get lost in ,in the middle of the night,and end up driving in all different directions across a cobbled square like something out of an old comedy film

Vitry Le Francois - a surreal place!

I don't know you lot with your old cars relying on Sat Navs. ::) Utterly disgusting. :P Can't you navigate using a sextant or the stars or something else. Maybe you could use Hutch's compass and a sliderule. ;) I just think you should leave those Sat Navs at home and try pointing generally South and seeing where you get to....... ??)

Maps, Atlases you now that sort of thing........ :X

I really hope you enjoy the trip guys. I'm off to New Zealand next week and Rarotonga (in the Cook Islands) but would have been coming with you otherwise.

Best of luck, Neil

Absolutely Tim! I will be taking part in my car with Kaye as co-driver unless plans change but I will definitely offer my services as a co-driver if I have any car problems. I should have finished the respray by then! It has become a bit of a marathon. Just one door to fit up and hang, some bits to re-install like glove-boxes, wipers and wash jets then I can concentrate on the bonnet! Light at the end of the tunnel. It should take a 3 good days work after returning from NZ.

I hope you guys get everything sorted, cars prepped, packed (etc) and have a great time. 8) ;D :D :)

Regards, Neil

Actually as we only have base maps of Europe, we'll be heavily relying on the atlas and compass, the Base maps list large A type roads and motorways, so for example when I plotted the NL stop by Lat./Long. I have a marker in the middle of nowhere. Plus there is no map for Slovenia on my SatNav...

It'll be quite fun (ending up in africa that is!)

OR "I don't want to perform a legal U-Turn!!!!!"

And why does she always tell me to 'exit left' on a roundabout  when I get to the first exit and not the one I want - still it'll make a change hearing her say 'exit right' for 4 days!

Seriously though, I'm not expecting to use it to direct me to places, except when we get lost! I think it'll be of greater use confirming that we're on the right road and the direction/speed we are going.

Colin - you need the Dalek voice that threatens extermination at every turn!

Hutch - what version do you have? There are some maps of Eastern Europe around for TomTom. I'm using the detailled maps of Western Europe but it's a big file >1GB

Jason wrote:
Colin - you need the Dalek voice that threatens extermination at every turn!

Hutch - what version do you have? There are some maps of Eastern Europe around for TomTom. I'm using the detailled maps of Western Europe but it's a big file >1GB

Might try to get the Ozzy Osbourne one, that should offend all and sundry.

Now all we need is the 'closed border plug-in'

:-)

Colin

Archived