Competition?  I don't think so.

JohnD

All,
Have you had an email, advertising the "MSA Euroclassic"?
"N�ring, before travelling through Germany, the Czech Republic, Austria and Italy to finish at the beautiful island of Lindau, on Lake Constance, in Southern Germany.   Highlights of the run include stops at Salzburgring Circuit, Colditz Castle and the Grossglockner and Stelvio Passes, together with a rest day in Prague"

Are they feeling the wind of competition from the 10CR?
I don't think so - it takes a week!
And the 'mid-event dinner' and 'finish celebration' will have to be rather good for the £2500 entry fee.

JOhn

PS Colditz Castle - what a great check point for a future 10CR!

If I recall, some members of the Notts contingent visited the castle used in Where Eagles Dare, or there is always Bechtesgarden/Eagles Nest where it would be quite fun to have some SPITFIRES buzzing around...or John from LANCASTER...or Toby Cowper in his HURRICANE...

You can see Colditz and the castle - in 3D too! - on Google Earth!
It's a long way east!  less than 100 miles from the Polish border.
Which was, of course, why it was a prison for 'prominentes' and inveterate escapers.

Perhaps the 10CR should change direction, and go  France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Austria, Lechtenstien, Switzerland and home through France to the UK makes ten.  If you nipped into Slovakia, there would be no need to pretend with Lechtenstien.  But if not, we too could have a "rest stop in Prague"!  But it's about 2400 miles!
John

What a good idea! I've always wanted to drive to Berlin but my non-PC jingoistic nationalism dictates that it would have to be in a Spitfire (I know, I know, Supermarine Spitfires don't have the range). Maybe an Atlas van then?

Here's something to play with - I got carried away with an unnecessary Croatian pop-in but you get the drift. The basics are there, just need to detour off the fastest roads and take in more scenery, mountains, passes, roadside sausage halts, that sort of thing :-)

<a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&amp;source=s_d&amp;saddr=Enfield&amp;daddr=Dover+-+Calais+to:E15+to:R1+to:D%C3%A4mmerwalder+Str.%2FK13+to:B51+to:51.962885,7.643738+to:colditz+castle+to:Route+21%2FE49+to:A1%2FA10+to:trieste+to:Route+5002+to:Savudrijska+to:A9+to:padova+to:C%C3%B4te+d'Eich+to:E44+to:calais+to:Dover+-+Calais+to:Enfield&amp;geocode=FQAmFAMdg8H-_yktQojSeBh2SDH5_qTunOO4GQ%3BFbzrCQMd3i4bAA%3BFWaxCQMd-EQcAA%3BFbxMDQMdRr1CAA%3BFSJcFQMdEC5nAA%3BFTqHGAMdFIt0AA%3B%3BFa8jDAMd2XLDACEqxya4TKGZcw%3BFV5-_QIdsOi7AA%3BFRjk2AIdKqvFAA%3BFX6euAId5z3SACmnbud3TGt7RzEAdJEVhwkHBA%3BFVYotgIdDEPOAA%3BFSSDtQId5EzOAA%3BFf7ltAId9tnPAA%3BFSDltAId7Ti1ACmBfVxzRtp-RzF3v8tNMGV9AA%3BFcAV9QIdooddAA%3BFfxl9QIdIFleAA%3BFWKOCQMdYkQcAClj4_HXdT_cRzH0edKM4Nm-rA%3BFVHKCQMdP9cbAA%3BFQAmFAMdg8H-_yktQojSeBh2SDH5_qTunOO4GQ&amp;hl=en&amp;mra=dpe&amp;mrcr=2&amp;mrsp=6&amp;sz=9&amp;via=1,4,5,6,11,12,16,18&amp;sll=52.067689,8.374329&amp;sspn=0.952268,2.469177&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=45.981695,12.744141&amp;spn=17.22656,39.506836&amp;z=5">http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Enfield&daddr=Dover+-+Calais+to:E15+to:R1+to:D%C3%A4mmerwalder+Str.%2FK13+to:B51+to:51.962885,7.643738+to:colditz+castle+to:Route+21%2FE49+to:A1%2FA10+to:trieste+to:Route+5002+to:Savudrijska+to:A9+to:padova+to:C%C3%B4te+d'Eich+to:E44+to:calais+to:Dover+-+Calais+to:Enfield&geocode=FQAmFAMdg8H-_yktQojSeBh2SDH5_qTunOO4GQ%3BFbzrCQMd3i4bAA%3BFWaxCQMd-EQcAA%3BFbxMDQMdRr1CAA%3BFSJcFQMdEC5nAA%3BFTqHGAMdFIt0AA%3B%3BFa8jDAMd2XLDACEqxya4TKGZcw%3BFV5-_QIdsOi7AA%3BFRjk2AIdKqvFAA%3BFX6euAId5z3SACmnbud3TGt7RzEAdJEVhwkHBA%3BFVYotgIdDEPOAA%3BFSSDtQId5EzOAA%3BFf7ltAId9tnPAA%3BFSDltAId7Ti1ACmBfVxzRtp-RzF3v8tNMGV9AA%3BFcAV9QIdooddAA%3BFfxl9QIdIFleAA%3BFWKOCQMdYkQcAClj4_HXdT_cRzH0edKM4Nm-rA%3BFVHKCQMdP9cbAA%3BFQAmFAMdg8H-_yktQojSeBh2SDH5_qTunOO4GQ&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=2&mrsp=6&sz=9&via=1,4,5,6,11,12,16,18&sll=52.067689,8.374329&sspn=0.952268,2.469177&ie=UTF8&ll=45.981695,12.744141&spn=17.22656,39.506836&z=5</a>

* Damn, can't get that map to embed :-(

Anyway, anything to get away from French toll roads is good and I think a bunch of Triumphs roving around Germany can only be a good thing  8)

I did make a suggestion to Ellis of: Calais, Belgium, Holland (over the Ijsseimeer barrage), Germany, Danemark (over the two massive bridges - breathtaking both in their engineering and toll!), Sweden for firsdt night hotel...only it would be a floating hotel to Poland (the overnight ferry to Swinoujscie)...from there Berlin isn't that far...Czech Republic, Austria...

Leave out Croatia!

Unless you stick to the Schengen Agreement countries, you will complicate matters by needing Passports, Visas, carte d'transit, etc.etc.
See here: http://www.axa-schengen.com/en/schengen-countries

Slovenia could be a pop-in to make ten, if Lichtenstein is too false.

John

You not kidding, Nick!
After Binman and I did the 10CR in his open, roofless Green Car, in motorcylce suits and full face helmets, I had tinnitus for a week.
Binman, who is an audiologist, was most unsympathetic!
Apparently, and he has done research on it, the noise in a helmet in the full airflow can be more than 110dB!
Most regular bikers are deaf by the time they are 50.

John

Nick_Jones wrote:
I like the multiple passes idea, we like the mountains and the car likes the mountains.  We don't enjoy long motorway hauls though, we go deaf and get very tired......

. . . .  but maybe don't overdo the passes - on the 2007 10CR, by the time we got to Dormoletto we were really "passed out".  As a passenger, Ivi gets a little car sick on repeated twisty bits, as a driver her arms were hurting as the 7V8 was a heavy old bus to steer!    Some of our most enjoyable sections on the 2009 10CR were the fast, sweeping, flowing roads accross the massif central . . .

MikeyB wrote:

. . . .  but maybe don't overdo the passes - on the 2007 10CR, by the time we got to Dormoletto we were really "passed out".  As a passenger, Ivi gets a little car sick on repeated twisty bits, as a driver her arms were hurting as the 7V8 was a heavy old bus to steer!    Some of our most enjoyable sections on the 2009 10CR were the fast, sweeping, flowing roads accross the massif central . . .

Sure, hilly is fine too, doesn't haven't to be extreme.  We also liked the run from Millau to Valance and the Pyrenean foothills coming northeast from Andorra were magnificent but contributed significantly to the motorway time in getting to them.....

Nick

A track day at Snetterton will let you do that (achieve maximum speed). Revett straight is the longest in the country, on a circuit, just over half a mile.
Or, many track days are on old airfields.  Elvington near York has a very long runway, 1.8 miles and Bruntingthorpe has the longest runway in the UK, nearly two miles.
If you can't get to top speed in that far, why aren't you working for Richard Noble?

John

Archived