Tracking the 10CR

tiggrr1

I was reading Andy Martins report on the Auto Eccosse and found out about Google Latitude.

Looks like we could use it on the 10CR to keep track of each other or to let those who can not make it see where we are.

Or in my case how many wrong turns I make.

I really have no idea what you mean Goody  :P

I have just spotted a rather large downside to google latitude, data usage.

It apparently uses a fair bit of data which could work out expensive with the shocking cost of internet access whilst using your phone in europe  :o :o :o

tiggrr1 wrote:

It apparently uses a fair bit of data which could work out expensive with the shocking cost of internet access whilst using your phone in europe  :o :o :o

Old Indian trick.....

Take old blanket, place wet grass in exhaust ,place blanket over exhaust and send smoke signals..... ;D

tiggrr1 wrote:

And the battery in my Android lasts about a day and a half if I'm lucky. It'll be a Nokia 3100 for me.

tiggrr1 wrote:

It apparently uses a fair bit of data which could work out expensive with the shocking cost of internet access whilst using your phone in europe

Nifty program google latitude but as mentioned its GPS and data dependant, my Samsung 8910i lasted about 15-20 mins on battery.

Heres a quick copy/paste from Orange of the costs of my Orange pay monthly contract in France and same for most european countries (note the 3 quid per MB of data highlighted in bold)

costs of using your phone in France  
Service   Make/Send   Receive    
calling to countries within zones 1 & 2 and back to the UK  36.6p*  11.5p*  per min  
calling to all other zones  71.5p  11.5p*  per min  
Answer Phone  38.8p     per min  
text message  10.2p*  free  per message  
photo message (up to 49.9kb)  61.3p  free  per message  
photo message (over 50kb)  76.6p  free  per message  
video message  76.6p  free  per message  
GPRS or EDGE  3.00     per MB  
3G data  3.00     per MB  
Video Calling  38.8p/71.5p  14.3p  per min

I cant say what other networks are charging but i assume its similar

Last 10CR my mobile bill was about 15 quid more than normal i sent home about 30 text messages, approx 10 short calls and 4 picture messages.

Searching about , looks like google maps uses approx 200kb per hour of data, depends on the map needed at the time, mountain roads more...motorways less etc

Gaz,

I had the same last 10cr my mobile bill was over £60.

However Orange do a top up one off fee that allows you to use your Orange phone abroad for less.

A one off payment of about a fiver, you get 300 mins of no cost incoming calls. (normally 10p per min)

and 300 outgoing calls at 29p per min saving 25% on standard outgoing calls in europe.

I have just done this on my last trip to France and found I called home and got home to call me back. Massive savings.

My last bill from Europe £30 inc the £5 Europe traveler bundle.

Rob

Yep it is £3.07 inc vat per megabyte with 02

So if you are right at 200k per hour of data that would be around 5 mb per 24 hours ie £15 a day.

I'll have to see how much data it uses on the way to and from the drivers meeting, which is about 5 hrs driving time.

Should give a good idea of possible costs.

Yup your right Colin, batter it in this country if your mobile subscription covers the data, if everybody has it google latitude a great plus on the RBRR.

Going off tiggrs calculations, using google latitude on the 10cr £15 a day IE 5 days = £75 is a tad too much just for friends and family to follow you.....but if thats affordable, its pretty reasuring for family members etc to know you are still on track back home plus the ability to chat to them 'real time' is pretty cool too, although texting is the norm nowadays.

Rob....

Looking at changing to 02 before 10cr but if not i will get the Orange europe add-on, cheers matey.

It appears that we may be able to set up tracking via Vodaphone with my usb broadband stick.

This is what Vodaphone are charging at the moment,

Get 25MB of data for £2 a day (midnight to midnight, UK time) to use in our Europe zone with Vodafone Data Traveller Or pay £10 for a month’s data in our Europe zone (25MB a day).

You can also pay £5 a day to get 25MB of data a day to use in our rest of world zone.

Archived