MikeyB wrote:
My advice is to get the replacement diff that you intend to fit then compare the flange size with the 4:11 you have on the car. If they differ (as they probably will) then it's time to pop a shaft out of each to compare splines and take it from there.   :)

I'm fairly sure that the 3:63 & the 3:89 will have the same output shafts so you could pull one out the GT for a peek - it's only four bolts on the UJ, four on the diff and it pulls out.

I'm seriously thinking about going 3:63 in the GT6 as it has the power and torque to cope with it. Reckon the 3:89 would be your best choice for the Spit.

I agree to a certain extent , but I don`t ant to lose too much acceleration on take off
...and yes ,buy the 3:89 and start experimenting before dismantling flanges

Acceleration from rest is pretty rubbish on a Mk3 Spit due to the incredibly low 1st gear. Fitting a 3:89 diff should help improve that.

I have a feeling that Colin aka Scrapman has a 3:89 in his Mk3 - it goes better than mine with a 4:11   :)

MikeyB wrote:
Acceleration from rest is pretty rubbish on a Mk3 Spit due to the incredibly low 1st gear. Fitting a 3:89 diff should help improve that.

I have a feeling that Colin aka Scrapman has a 3:89 in his Mk3 - it goes better than mine with a 4:11   :)

I went to 3.89 to counteract the effects of the 60-profile tyres. Gives the equivalent of a 4.11 again.

A Mk3 with a 3.63 is what Mike Banks has, and that struggles to pull the higher ratio, he has 70-profile tyres, but of course the 60-profile tyres will bring it back to an equivalent to a 3.89.

Cheers

Colin

• 2 months later...

Still thinking on how to get the ski rack mounted  :P

But fitted some drinks bottle cages and map-light-magnifier to the interior ...

Am also in the process of fitting small green LED's as additional interior lights, to help retrieve lost pens etc. from the foot-wells in the dark.

And remove the 2011 Swiss Vignette  :X