• 2 weeks later...

GT6_User_and_Abuser wrote:
Anybody making any mods to their cars for this event?

I'm changing to modern seats to keep my originals intact.

Cabin 12V and USB wiring harness for charging.

Extra fuel tank install for some good fuel in reserve.

Quick rack for those switchbacks

Should keep me busy. :o

we are going for a drive around Europe not to the bloody moon!

AndyF

AndyF wrote:

we are going for a drive around Europe not to the bloody moon!

AndyF

We may as well be, at the rate some drive
I can understand a secondary tank in a big saloon, as back up, as the fuel we seemed to have picked up in 2011,was a bit suspect and on examining the can brought back, when syphoned out, it did n`t even smell like petrol.

Time to bite the bullet and change the diff on the Spit from 4:11 to 3;89 , fed up of peddling quick on the motorways
So that means changing the UJ flanges to the 1500 size and then giving me a bit more staying power
.....that`s after the Bovingdon auto solo, though :)
...Oh, and check the over drive .........  

thescrapman wrote:
Mike

If your Spitty has the later 4.11 diff, you can just swap the output shafts, save messing about changing UJ flanges.

Cheers

Colin

Colin

Not sure whether its a late one or not just did a sex change at Fidgety Tits a while ago
I was going to do the suggested, however when I spoke FTs to cost up and they asked what I was doing, out of interest, they said the output shafts were not inter-changeable " as the splines were different`
Not done this before so could not argue one way or another
Hence the complete diff change idea
Suggestions?  

Type B Square front pinion flange. 5/16 bolt holes all round (1/2 AF spanner size). Big quarter shaft diameter inside. Casing no's GE, FC from 120,001.

Taken from
http://www.canleyclassics.com/?xhtml=xhtml/infodatabase/diff.html&xsl=infodatabase.xsl

Spit mk3 should have the larger shafts.

I have swapped shafts on a few diffs. And I have 2 here that have the "multi hole" prop flanges. That is easy with a B+D drill and a nice drill bit.....

thescrapman wrote:
Do you have the complete replacement 3.89 diff there?

Either pop an output shaft out of bothe diffs to compare, or just pop one out of the 4.11 and compare it to a pre-measured one.

I think there is a noticeable difference between large and small splines.

Cheers

Colin

Nope . only got another 4;11 ,no 3:89 to compare ,and only a 3:76  in the GT, hence the need to buy  

My advice is to get the replacement diff that you intend to fit then compare the flange size with the 4:11 you have on the car. If they differ (as they probably will) then it's time to pop a shaft out of each to compare splines and take it from there.   :)

I'm fairly sure that the 3:63 & the 3:89 will have the same output shafts so you could pull one out the GT for a peek - it's only four bolts on the UJ, four on the diff and it pulls out.

I'm seriously thinking about going 3:63 in the GT6 as it has the power and torque to cope with it. Reckon the 3:89 would be your best choice for the Spit.