Help! Track Rod Ends

Pete Arnold

I ordered and have received a new pair of track rod ends (part no.106468) from Canley Classics for my Vitesse MkI Saloon but my local garage has found that they do not fit.  It is too late to contact Canleys until tomorrow so I thought I'd ask for any advice here first.

The inner diameter of these track rod ends appear to be about 1mm larger than the old ones and consequently are a very loose fit.  My Vitesse was rebuilt onto a former Herald 13/60 chassis but all Vitesse/Herald track rod ends are listed under the same part number.

Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Only thing I can possibly think of is that they are for a different car?? But I "think" all triumphs are the same. Unless there is a batch that has been incorrectly made.

When you call I expect Canleys will have a good look at the rest of that batch, but also send you a pair that they will check out before sending.

• 2 weeks later...
Quoted from cliftyhanger-

"Only thing I can possibly think of is that they are for a different car?? But I "think" all triumphs are the same. Unless there is a batch that has been incorrectly made."

I spoke to David at Canleys who said that the track rod ends were part of a batch received in June and they had supplied several of them to other customers without any problems.  He also assured me that all Herald/Vitesse models were fitted with the same steering rack. 

So I decided that my only way forward was to purchase a steering rack - but Canleys had none available and nor had Paddocks or Rimmers!  Fortunately they were available at Fitchetts so I ordered one immediately.  Once received it was a perfect fit with the track rod ends already purchased from Canleys.

So I'm none the wiser as to the origin of the old steering rack!