Bo'ness Saltire Trophy

Quoted from Stuart Wilson
This looks like it'll be a good event, bit of a navigation event with tests and a run up the hill climb.

I'm going to be doing it in the TR7

Hi Stuart,

You'll have to let us know how you get on. Colin Wake and I did the Hughes Rally a couple of weeks ago and the East Anglian Classic yesterday. (Boy, it was hot!)

I hope your tests are not as punishing on the car as ours were. Looks like I need to invest in more welding wire.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well it's this weekend, we're looking forward to it should be fun. We are seeded car 12 amongst a good mix of cars from moderns to old classics including a good few Triumphs.  

Entered cars

MGB GT
Skoda Fabia VRS
Triumph TR7 V8
Triumph Dolomite Sprint
Toyota Yaris
Clan Crusader
Volvo Amazon
Vauxhall 1914/18
Jaguar XJ
Ford Fiesta ST
Stuart Wilson Sam Colman Triumph TR7
Triumph Dolomite Sprint
Clan Crusader
Jaguar X Type
Singer 9HPSports
Alvis Speed 20S  
MGC Roadster
Triumph Italia
Triumph Vitesse
Jaguar XK8
Rover P4 100
Alvis 12/50

We had a great weekend up in Scotlandshire, we weren't sure how we would get on with the regularity sections on the event. But I had fitted a GPS tripmeter to the car just before heading off, it was certainly worth buying. After Saturdays four tests, two regularity sections and normal road sections where we had to get code boards we were lying in 5th overall. On Sunday we had the hill climb to do as a regularity section, we had a choice of average speeds, 20, 24 or 30. We went for 24, but didn't do very well a little to fast at the mid point then a good bit to slow at the finish. We ended up dropping one place to 6th, which was far better than we were expecting.

Full report and pics will be compiled and sent off to Dale for Club Torque. Some pics may also appear in TR registers TR Action and possibly in practical classic magazine at somepoint

Well done Stuart!  That sounds like you had an excellent event. A good result too.

Mark and I did our first Regularity earlier in the summer and we found it quite tricky.  There's so much information to juggle with all at the same time, and it's not easy.  Well, it was for me; all I had to do was drive as I was told to, but you know what I mean.