Core Plug Removal

cbjroms

I am trying to remove the core plug which sits on the off-side of the engine behind the water pump.

Having drilled a hole in it and pushed a screwdriver into the hole, I thought that I would be able to lever the plug out. But, as you will see below I have opened-up the plug but the rim is stuck tight and has not moved.

Looking for some tips. I am concerned about trying to get under the rim of the plug in case I damage the holding face of the block. The other thought I had was to use a die-grinder to thin the rim so that I can easily lift it but, there again, am I going to damage the block?

What would be the safest way to proceed?

I think I would try to shift the remaining ring inwards a bit without losing it in the water jacket of course. Perhaps stuff something in there to stop that possibility and then use a socket, if you can find one just the right size, to tap the core plug rim. If you dont have anything the right diameter you could use a short length of brass rod to drift the edge and being softer it wont damage the hole. Then once it moves it should be easier to lever out or even fold up with pliers and pull out....

It's certainly worth trying glang's idea. Make up a hook from stiff wire and poke it through the top corner then hook the other end on something like the water pump. Then hit the bottom of the core plug in with a suitable drift. With luck it'll just pivot but if the whole lot does push inward your wire hook will catch it before it falls into the waterway.

If that doesn't work, the die grinder method would be my approach, just be very careful. You're not trying to grind through. Attack the left side first, thinning it to a shim, then do the same on the right. A good tap in the middle bottom will then split the core plug and you can pull it out.