Cylinder Head Studs

paulsv8

Hi, I’m in a bit of a dilemma, I’ve got two questions I hope someone will bale me out.

When I took the cylinder head off I removed all the studs, knowing I’d replace them with new.
Well I now have the new studs, and I’ve notice there is a difference. One end of the stud has a thread 21mm down the shaft whilst the other has 12mm with also a vertical cut down the shaft of the thread.
Can anyone tell me which end goes into the engine block?

For question 2, how do I torque the studs up into the block? Do I put them in finger tight then drop head onto them then torque them all up. Or do I use the two nut method to torque studs into block drop the head onto them then re-torque the head down?
Many thanks
Paul

just be careful if using dual nut that you dont overdo it and damage the threads .

always use the heavy duty nuts and hard washers ,  re use of old  tired nuts  may strip and std grade nuts certainly will let go before the 3/8"  42-46lbft is reached  or  6pot  Mk11   7/16" 65-70  as do soft std washers  spread and will loose torque on the nut very quickly.

the slot cut in the block end of the stud is to allow any oil,water etc out as the stud is fitted or the hydraulic force can blow the casting as the stud is wound in.

Pete

• 2 months later...

3398 wrote:
I've just got some replacement studs from Canleys and they don't have the slot like the others do? Is it worth me cutting a slot in with a dremel?

If you're sure the hole is clean and oil/water free, no.

I've always used the trick of dropping a ball bearing down the holes to protect the threads and stop the stud bottoming out so getting a constant preload on the thread.