Repairing a clutch master cylinder

Hoolz

I'm trying to repair mine but have become completely stuck. Everything's been straightforward so far. It's removed from the car and i've removed the circlip holding the piston rod and washer in place.

This is where i'm stuck. How do i get the piston out to replace the seals?

The Hayes manual says to do the following: With a small electrical screwdriver lift the tag on the spring retainer which engages against the shoulder on the front of the piston shank and separate the piston from the retainer.

I cant see any tag on a spring retainer. I can't see a spring retainer. All i can see is the 'front' of the piston and when i push it in i still cant see anything else. I've been poking around with a tiny precision screwdriver but there's no tag anywhere that i can see to lift.

The bit about the tag is for after you've got the piston out.

To get it out lubricate the bore with a little brake fluid & push it in several times, each time it should spring back out a little further. If that doesn't work after a while bash the end of the cylinder on the (wooden) bench & it should come out.

The quote applies after you have removed the piston.
To remove the piston remove the circlip and washer as you have done then scrape any junk off the bore between the piston and the end of the bore.  Next tap this end of the cylinder firmly with a piece of hardwood to cause the piston to move back.   sometimes you have to push the piston further in to clean this part of the bore and repeat the process.

great tips again lads, cheers. i sat the casing in a shallow bowl of really hot water for a minute then tapped it once with a wooden spoon and my piston just fell out.

i'm now replacing the seals but i've come across a problem.

looking at the hayes diagram, the piston (7) should have a groove near the front for the piston seal (13) to fit onto, however my piston doesn't have any groove so there's nowhere for the seal to go. *confused.com*

any thoughts?

Hoolz wrote:
looking at the hayes diagram, the piston (7) should have a groove near the front for the piston seal (13) to fit onto, however my piston doesn't have any groove so there's nowhere for the seal to go.

The front seal was deleted in the early 1960s. It was seen as unnecessary, it was there to prevent fluid leaking if the main internal seal failed.
Cheers,
Bill.

aaah haa!!! i think i've sussed out what the problem is. it looks as though the piston is from a master brake cylinder dammit! the brake cylinder exploded diagram shows a piston without any groove. how the hell did that get in there?  

can i buy just the clutch piston?

Archived