Help to save a Steering column

Checkld

Hi all,

I've recently had to buy a second hand outer steering column for my GT6 mk3 and finally after refurbishing it, fitting new poly bushes, new UJ etc got it back onto the car at the weekend. Came to attach the steering wheel and the final bolt and low and behold the thread at the start is completely mashed and so can't get the nut started that retains the steering wheel. I'm now at a loss as I really don't want to take everything apart to fit a new inner steering column. I have thought about using a die or one of those thread files but have no idea what size, gauge I need.

Does anyone have any idea either what size of die I need, or secondly what experience has anyone had of these thread files and do they work?

I have pictures of the thread and also some measurements of the steering column thread for completeness.

I'd try using a junior hack saw and gently follow the thread round, start lower on a good part and slowly work your way up, just gently two or three strokes at a time slowly spinning the shaft

or look on Ebay for a thread file

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=thread+file+unf&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=thread+file

i'm not sure how many TPI the thread is, all you have to do is measure 1/2" of thread and count them then double the number for threads per inch 

Dont dispair, that thread will live again. Georges hacksaw recommendation will work with a bit of patience. Ive even used a half round or triangular file to do the job and the column is soft metal which perversely is probably why it got damaged in the first place👍