Heritage Panels

Lightfoot

Hi All, just taken delivery of some new panels and have a couple of questions, the Heritage cills when viewed along their length seem to be curved ( bottom of cill ) is this just a quirk of manufacture or should it be this way ??

Also the closure panel that fills the front of the cill to the front bulkhead has a small (5mm) lip on the edge that welds to the bulkhead but I have not seen this on any other mk iv spit that I've looked at, this panel always looks flush to the bulkhead.

Any help appreciated.

Tim

Outer sill, should not be curved when on car - but they always are  8)
(even on original bodywork cars - I have measured 3/4 inch at the middle and 1/2'' at the front and rear - see picture...)

Sill end cap has a small lip, yes, original but on early cars (mk1/2/3) its very little (grind most of it off, if you go for originality!).
A bit more visible on later cars.

Yeh looks like they cut it off and seam welded it at the factory?

That's not my car by the way, it's the last one made at Gaydon Motor Heritage Museum. I could look at mine but I'm not sure it's much use to you as it's got replacement floors and replacement sills, neither of which I think are heritage items either.

Lip is not flush to the bulkhead panel; but doesn't have as much material left as I did remember....
Its brazed at the edge; just grind some of it off with a flap disk after  you have welded in the new one.

Sills tend to have a slight curve esp. at the front.

Here is a picture of an original sill - just to show 'factory finish'...
Curved at the dog-leg too :-)

Its 1/2 an inch in front of the sill; 3/4'' if you measure behind.
Mk 3 spit btw - not my car.